Transient Occupancy Tax Collection in Novato, Marin County, Northern California

Answered!
Andrea6564
Level 2
Novato, CA

Transient Occupancy Tax Collection in Novato, Marin County, Northern California

I am a new host just setting up Airbnb. Is anyone is this area familiar with how to set this up in Airbnb as Airbnb does not collect and pay the taxes to the local government in Novato.  If there's anyone out there who can assist me, please message me through the Airbnb site. My name is Andrea Patten and the listing is Cul-de-Sac treasure.  My head is about to burst! You will spare me some grief!

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

do you have a permit from your city or county of Marin? That should trigger communication from them for filing the taxes. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello, 
I have some write this you can read this 
Listing Setup: Make sure you have created a compelling and accurate listing description, high-quality photos, and detailed amenities information. Provide clear guidelines for check-in and check-out procedures, house rules, and any other important information for your guests.
Pricing and Fees: Set your nightly rates based on the local market and your property's unique features. You can also consider factors like peak seasons, local events, and any additional fees you may want to charge (cleaning fees, extra guest fees, etc.).
Tax Considerations: Research the local regulations and tax requirements for short-term rentals in Novato. While Airbnb may not collect and remit taxes on your behalf, you may still be required to collect and pay taxes directly to the local government. This could include occupancy taxes, sales taxes, or other fees.
Communication with Guests: Clearly communicate any additional charges or fees, including taxes, to your guests during the booking process. Transparency is key to avoiding misunderstandings later on.
Legal and Insurance Considerations: Make sure you understand the legal and insurance requirements for hosting in your area. Check if you need any permits or licenses to operate a short-term rental.
Messaging on Airbnb: To connect with potential guests or seek assistance from experienced hosts, you can use the messaging system within the Airbnb platform. You can send messages to other hosts, guests, or Airbnb support.
Seek Local Help: Consider reaching out to local hosts' associations, forums, or community groups where experienced hosts might be able to provide you with specific advice related to Novato's regulations and tax procedures.

Remember, it's important to do your own research and consult with legal and tax professionals to ensure you are compliant with all local laws and regulations. Good luck with your Airbnb hosting journey!

Thanks for read this 

TellPopeyes

Hi David 

That was a great and clear answer. Im a host in Marin where airbnb does not collect taxes 

It's always an ongoing issue I would say . Basically I have to collect them ,or absorb the amount 12 percent into my pricing . After many years I have  finally gotten used to it. 

I'm Mill Valley we pay tot to the town. Now they have gone to a large company to collect. It's just another hoop. But to the host asking yep ask your accountant  and stay on it.

As they say one thing is for sure death and taxes !! Best of luck .Its worked out fine but it was a learning curve for a while.

It's been a while crazy fun ride and Still love Hosting. although I would say this year has been slow I believe due to inflation. People spending less, thus lowering nightly prices. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

do you have a permit from your city or county of Marin? That should trigger communication from them for filing the taxes.