Trouble getting AirBnB to charge and remit transient occupancy tax in El Dorado County, California

Chris17793
Level 2
Los Altos, CA

Trouble getting AirBnB to charge and remit transient occupancy tax in El Dorado County, California

My county charges a 10% transient occupancy tax (ToT).  When I started as a host, my neighbors who host on AirBnB, as well as my county tax collector, said that AirBnB remits taxes directly to the county.  I had a lot of trouble getting AirBnB support to help me set things up correctly, but finally I talked with someone who seemed to know what she was talking about.  Alas, using the approach she recommended, AirBnB sent the tax to me and not the county.  This year, I tried to fix it.  Five phone calls and many messages later, another woman who seemed knowledgable suggested a different approach, and now that I've had my first guest with the new settings, AirBnB didn't charge any tax at all!  I'm on hold now, talking to an agent at AirBnB who has no idea what's going on, and keeps putting me on hold while checking with her "resources."  I am flabbergasted that this chore that seems to be squarely within what should be AirBnB's sweet spot is not something they can handle.  Can anyone help?

1 Reply 1
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

There is nothing sacrosanct about taxes, or the collection of;  in its purest form it is the gathering of money usually following the path of least resistance.

In the case of Airbnb, having to collect taxes from a zillion different hosting individuals for a zillion different (oftentimes lazy) money-hungry municipalities with different supposedly legitimate 'needs', I am sure Airbnb doesn't relish. No wonder it is one big quagmire and perhaps merits a high degree of patience.