Type of mortgages UK

Type of mortgages UK



I am looking to buy my first home and list it on airbnb. However, I would like to stay in my home when work permits. My question is, when applying for a mortgage should I be applying for a buy-to-let mortgage or a standard mortgage? I have read about the 140 day limit of stays, does this mean that as long as I don't go over that threshold I can list my home on a standard mortgage rather than a buy to let? 


Any help would be appreciated, 


Thanks Max!

2 Replies 2
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you need to apply for a holiday let mortgage @Max2704 


Buy to let mortgages are for long term rentals . A standard mortgage is when you live in the property permanently.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Max2704 👋


How did you get on when looking for your first property and mortgage? 



Please follow the Community Guidelines