VRBO vs Airbnb - what should a host know when switching?

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

VRBO vs Airbnb - what should a host know when switching?

After almost 2 years of hosting via Airbnb (and for the most part being happy with that),  I recently had a very disappointing experience with their Resolution Centre. I completely disagree with their handling of a claim regarding damages, and am deeply unhappy with how they treated me. 

As a result, I have decided to give another platform a try, and have decided on VRBO, as I've heard good things about them. I can see that they are not as big in Sweden as Airbnb are  (based on the number of properties they have in Stockholm) - but I know that they are much bigger in some other markets. And I'm thinking that since I typically have a lot of visitors from markets where VRBO are big, many of my potential guests will probably search both via VRBO and Airbnb. And since VRBO have much fewer listings in Stockholm, this should benefit me, give my listing more visibility. (Which is not why I'm trying VRBO, but would be a nice side-effect.)

Is there anything that I need to be aware of, differences in how VRBO works vs Airbnb, that I should be aware of? Any typical errors that hosts make when first listing on VRBO? Any communities/forums like this, where hosts can go to search for information and get support?

I don't think I'll want to be on 2 platforms for very long, feels like that would be too stressful. But I will not leave Airbnb until I've given VRBO a try, and see if I like it. What do I need to think about if I will (for a short while) be on 2 platforms? 

23 Replies 23
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Trude0 

In my country VRBO is not a well known and much used platform.

Not much help to offer, sorry

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Trude0   

You said that VRBO is not as big as airbnb in Sweden. Here's the whole picture:

In 2005 Brian Sharples and Carl Shephard founded the Rental Platform „Home Away“, they were based in the USA. They bought up all the leading local Rental Platforms in various countries around the world including VRBO (USA), Fewo-Direkt (Germany), Abritel (France), Owners Direct (UK), Stayz (Australia), there are more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomeAway

The way they ran their business was, that they kept all the various local names for the original platforms in each country. But they developed an integrated software, that was finally used by all the platforms with all the various names around the world.

As You can see, even tough the names of the platforms on the left top corner are different, the startpage looks exactely the same.

So, if You list Your place on VRBO, Your place will be shown worldwide on maybe 20 or 30 different platforms that all have a different name.

In 2015 HomeAway got bought up by Expedia and they still onwn it.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Trude0 I personally don’t find listing on multiple platforms stressful. We find Vrbo guests to be generally older and “better” and we can charge more on that platform. We prefer it to Airbnb for many reasons— but Airbnb delivers more guests. Can’t comment on the situation in your country, of course.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I tried VRBO a few years ago and I like that they actually collect the security deposit and if the host doesn't file a damage claim, the deposit is sent back to the guest 14 days after check-out

I didn't use it lately but if I remember correctly, their host service fee is higher than on Airbnb so you have to calculate it into your price. They also have options to pay per booking or to pay a subscription annual fee.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Branka-and-Silvia0 VRBO has now copied airbnb and does no longer collect the security deposit.

@Trude0 I have found the same as @Lisa723 the guests are more mature, they stay longer and they are willing to pay more. My last guests were in February 2020, a US couple that stayed 3 weeks. The booking came through Expedia.

I believe some vrbo guests choose this platform above airbnb for privacy reasons as info on guests is minimal to none and many guests are non-communicative in the extreme.

As with any booking platform and any type of rental, you need to have your own appropriate insurance rarher than relying on any "guarantees" that are there mostly for marketing purposes.

The airbnb software may be full of glitches, but more flexible than vrbo.

My apartment cannot quite compare to a tiny house with a sleeping loft reached by a ladder. Yours will probably appeal more to a younger crowd. Mine is a two bedroom, very central, lift in the building and appeals to a wider group of guests.

After I started listing on both platforms, half my bookings have been through vrbo. 

@Marit-Anne0  

Are You sure that VRBO no longer collects a real security deposit? This has always been the big advantage of this platform and all the hosts loved it.

How did You learn from that change? Do You know if there is any official statement from the company about that change in policy?

@Ute42 yes, I am reasonably sure, but here and now I cannot tell you the exact date. Deposit were collected for the booking in February, but for the summer bookings of 2020, there were no deposit to return. I think it happened at the time when HomeAway became VRBO. I have probably deleted the mail with the info. 

tnx @Marit-Anne0  I wasn't aware of it bc I didn't use VRBO for a few years

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Hi everyone I can confirm it’s true they don’t charge the deposit and hold it anymore. However they guarantee the host access to collect the funds from the noted security deposit amount if there is damage, totally different from Airbnb. You don’t have to ask the guest and wait for their response. You don’t have to go through any similar guarantee claim system begging VRBO to pay the claim. The security deposit is authorized on the guest card. I asked my VRBO sales rep what happens if the guest card is canceled or maxed out by the time you try to charge it and she told me “VRBO would cover it” in that case. 

@Trude0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Mary419 @Marit-Anne0 

I list on Vrbo via MyVR so I don’t know how listing directly is different. But the default option for my Vrbo guests is to buy damage insurance (from Assurant). They pay me $49 for the insurance and I pay Assurant $40. They can alternatively choose to put down a real deposit instead but most people go with the insurance. The host can then claim against the insurance, which I have done with no problems, and no risk of revenge review as the guest already bought the insurance so it’s all the same to them. It’s all automatic via MyVR and it’s great.

@Lisa723  what is MyVR ? And what is Assurant? Is it VRBO's insurance agency?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 MyVR is a short-term-rental channel manager (and website hosting service). Assurant is an insurance company that partners with MyVR.

https://myvr.com/

https://www.assurant.com/

@Lisa723  Tnx for info, I just requested a demo but they declined bc I manage less than 11 properties (it is a minimum at the moment). 

Do you have to pay myvr and how much?)

@Branka-and-Silvia0 MyVR is not free. How much you pay depends on number of properties, payment plan, etc.. It is not cheap-- I pay about $150/month. The main reason I chose it is that it is one of the few platforms that can push Wheelhouse pricing to Vrbo.