What can I do when my guests broke the rules?

Anna421
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

What can I do when my guests broke the rules?

I had 2 people book my place over new year.  I have a cleaner/co-host who greets the guests.  She told me a third girl arrived with a bag, and thought that it looked like she was staying there. She only booked for 2 guests, there is an extra charge for over 2 people.

Also, my neighbour emailed me today to say my tenants had a huge party with very loud music.  There were at least 4 people and they were all sceaming loudly and singing to the music, the noise echoed all through the stairwell. I have a clearly stated rule about no parties, no loud noise, no music after 10pm.

THe last rule was to turn the airconditioner off when leaving the apartment.  THe cleaner said it was left on when she arrived.

I don't know if I can claim re-embursement from the tenant somehow? And how do I prevent this from happening again? Im very disappointed.

24 Replies 24
Scott323
Level 2
Colonial Heights, VA

I recently had a guest which was her second stay. She was great the first time, and just as good the second with few water use issues and little cleaning issues. After her last stay, she needed a place because she had 2 kids and not many accept kids. I decided, because i didnt want the kids to be on the street and she mentioned she couldnt afford a hotel. I opened my heart and my door, let her take my room, and i slept on the couch. I told her i would need to get into my room because my personals are there which i need. She agreed and the stay proceeded . She asked ybinwent in there so i decided to bring up the water and clean issues( here comes the lesson i learned) i didnt use airbnb for the stay, however, i also did not profit. When i asked her to please not to use so much water ( running water, walk away, come back and finish dishes then gonto the shower and let it run) i asked please conserve water, clean after the kids etc etc. That became an issue and she ended up leaving. Of course playing the victim. She then wrote a note and left it on her mailbox stating i was talking all this bad things about her and what i was etc etc. Well, thats slander and defamation of character. She then called the locals to get 3 things from my home she left which added to the embarrasment and turmoil. She also wrote a review that was not an airbnb stay and more slander and defamation. It was a nightmare and it made.me pretty sad that someone can resort to such thing even after bending over backward to help a fellow human in need. No gratitude and unstable. Im hooing the resolution bans her and the reviee is taken off. She said allot about me and women that stay that was unsettleing. Anyone have advice or go thru this that may help? The court part of slander and deformation i can handle, it just unfortunate that its twisted to suit themselves and only out in what they want to say not all the things she failed to mention. These type people need to be banned as a danger. Upon leaving she threw mashed potatoes, left food under my bed, on the dresser and clogged my drain with food and lauged about it leaving. What do we hosts have other than  resolution for legal issues like slander and defamation on a false review and false nieghbor interaction? Clearly not fully mature yet

Scott if I understand your post correctly, it appears that the return guest behavior went south when you acted in a manner of a friend instead as a host.  That is, you gave up your personal room and did not book professionally on Air BNB.  The result was she acted in an untrustworthy way.

Perhaps your negative experience is a useful to hosts who are tempted to see guests as "friends".  While there are lovely stories about how some guests have in fact become friends with their hosts, that is rare and we all need to be aware of our role with respect to guests.  

Thanks for the response, this is an act of kindness, not friend due to the children. Yes, i take full responsibility for not going thru airbnb which is a first and a last. I also did not profit. So, how do you leave a review that was not due to an airbnb stay? This is tragic.  I had other guests here at the time that felt uneasy of her actions as well

You cannot leave a review on the Air BNB platform if the stay was not through Air BNB, unfortunately.  

@Linda108  She was still in the review stage from a previous stay booked through AirBnB when he let he stay again without AirBnB.

@Scott323  You may have more problems from this guest the sexual implications in her review are not good. I would call AirBnB and try to have this review removed ASAP and get your side of the story on record in both the messaging system and with customer service. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

Thank you, i have been dealing with airbnb and it being dealt with. I have called and called, left messages over messages and they say its being handled etc etc. Its out of my hands and the longer it takes the more the impact it makes. I want her banned for lying. Also, i have a defamation and slander on her. Every female, or male guest, that has stayed has never ever felt any type of way here. She is very vindictive and straigt up discusting for her actions on what she wrote. 

Also, 8 never even took it the way you read it so i called again in a bit of urgency. This is a dangerous kind of guest.

Jami26
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hello,

I just had someone stay for one night and they broke rules (no damages, but I have to pay my maid more and they violated city ordinances - I have taken photos and have not yet contacted the guest).  I have in my house manual how much each violation will be charged if the rules are not followed. If there was no damage, and I claim costs for each of the violations in my house manual, can I make a claim on the resolution board? (these costs are to deter people from breaking rules and not to make extra money of course)

DURING THE STAY: I welcomed him with his code via email and a digital copy of the house manual.  On the day of check out, texted him a screenshot of the check out procedure and asked him to leave the bbq grill brush in the sink after cleaning if he used the grill.  He said "just cleaning up and we're almost checked out"

Registered 6 guests brought 9 guests (noted on the video surveillance today, the day after checkout)

CITY ORDINANCE: 

MAX 8 people.  My house manual states: "Additional guests or visitors. There is a maximum occupancy of 8 people. Please be sure to register all guests prior to your arrival. Visitors are not allowed. We are unable to allow our guests to exceed the county ordinance and any non-compliance will result in a $500.00 fine. All guests will be asked to vacate the property immediately and there will be no refunds."

BROKE RULES (on check out procedure):

1. Did not clean dishes

2. Did not remove the trash

3. did not clean BBQ grill

MY HOUSE RULES STATE: 

1. DISHES & GARBAGE: If dishes are not cleaned, garbage is not collected and disposed of properly or the fireplace is not cleaned, there will be a $50 charge for each incurrence.

Given I have costs delineated in my house manual about not following rules, does this change going to the resolution board about incurring fees?  Should I go to the guest first and ask for the extra money?

Margo263
Level 2
Nice, FR

A guest booked the flat for her own, but brought friends who held the party all the night, my neighbors in anger, house dirty like never, smells and damaged things, and the most important - money stolen from the closed room! They searched all my wardrobes in the flat, a disaster all around - Airbnb is not compensating!!! Just some small damages things I sent photos for, that's it! I made a claim in Police and they're waiting for the guests ID card to search for her and return my money, but Airbnb refuses to help with this! Their statement that it's safe to have reservations via Airbnb are just words - they don't protect the host anyhow and don't compensate!