Why is the West Hollywood bait and switch not fixed?

Answered!

Why is the West Hollywood bait and switch not fixed?

How do we escalate this? Catherine Powell told me a listing was taken down and it wasn’t. I was blocked from seeing future activity on that listing (which turned out to have fake reviews of guests who were never reviewed by the host).

My husband was able to find it through his account and a later guest complained of the same thing. The host had a West Hollywood address but then instructed the guest to go to LA instead. 

Is this yet another one? Or the same one? Someone in LA told me this is common to avoid LA taxes and license restrictions.

Why doesn’t Airbnb verify listings and require proof of ownership? Or check tax records?

https://www.insider.com/airbnb-bait-switch-los-angeles-man-2023-2

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Christine615,

Thank you again for flagging this listing here in the Community Center. Airbnb does not tolerate this kind of behavior from any Host and after a thorough investigation, the Host and their listings were removed from the Airbnb platform earlier this year.

It's important to note that bait-and-switch tactics are strictly prohibited on Airbnb, and our specialized Trust team always investigates and provides support to any guests who may need it. 

Here’s a few articles on how Airbnb verifies both Hosts and their listings.

Thank you for your continued vigilance and support,

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Christine615  As much as it would probably create extra work for myself, I agree with you that Airbnb should verify listings and require proof of ownership. Some of the other platforms do it, so it’s not like doing so would be some revolutionary new concept to implement. It would create a lot of extra work for CS, though, with all the “Unable to get my listing verified” phone calls from all the different countries with their various regulations and processes, which is probably why Airbnb doesn’t do it.

Good point!  I know myself when creating a Facebook page for one of my rental properties I had to forward FB a copy of my deed to prove I was the owner.  

There's a lot less at stake with a FB page than strangers renting to strangers on the internet.

Karen
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Pat271 

Why should the majority pay the price for the minority of bad actors?

I rent (Thanks to an unfortunate incident that happened in my life)  and have it in my Tenancy Agreement to be able to have ABB Guests stay and my owners can see all my reviews etc at any given time.

Bearing in mind the fact that ABB was set up originally to help those in need of shared accommodation it would be detrimental to those who are not owners ( PLUS all the extra Bureaucracy!!!) who do their bit and try help others and to keep a roof over one's head.

It would further disadvantage those who play by the rules and unwittingly impact on those in need of STR or other.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sure they could set up the vetting so you either provide proof of ownership or like in your case a lease where it is written in that you can STR your rental @Helen427 

@Helen427  I did think of the arbitrage situation -  thought it was obvious that arbitrage should require a lease condoning the use, and the normal vetting of the owner as described in my previous post.

I agree with you that a few bad actors shouldn’t affect the majority, but I don’t mind doing my part to help prevent our guest community from getting hoodwinked, stranded, and stolen from. If less of these incidences occur, it will help give guests peace of mind, which will ultimately affect all of our businesses in a positive way. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Christine615 Did the host have many listings? If so it seems Airbnb is putting profit ahead of doing the right thing - Not overly surprising I am afraid although you would think the city might have something to say about their rules being circumvented.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Helen3 @Christine615 @Pat271 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Karen114 @Catherine-Powell @Brian @Tara-Bunch 

Having another read through this article and situation that @Christine615 has kindly included the link to, the article is misleading because a couple of years ago there was much discussion here in CC on Pins being in the incorrect place and Hosts not being able to change them so in fact it may be an unfortunate case of that having occurred rather than someone trying to claim to be someone trying to avoid Taxes or License restrictions.

Those discussions can easily be retrieved using related Location Pin etc search-words in the Search Box here in CC.

Not all people are tech savy, nor do AI Machines do things 'Perfect'.

@Stephanieand @Lizzie were helpful in these discussions as was @Laura Chambers.

The later usually engaged the IT Department including @Fraser22 to help provide solutions.

This post is not misleading. I provided the address the host registered under and then the address I was told to go to through private message.

Why would you imply that with all of our experience as hosts that we don’t know the difference between intentional fraud and an IT glitch?

Airbnb clearly gives out the listing address during the confirmation process. Then the host sends a private message asking the guest to go to a completely different address. That’s not a “mix-up!”

It’s a well-known scam in Los Angeles. List as if you are in West Hollywood because Airbnb does zero diligence to verify that you have the rights to that address or property. Then the host sends a private message with a completely different address in Los Angeles to avoid taxes and regulations.

In my case I posted frequently about my adventures with a host that I booked in West Hollywood. I let it play out with Airbnb to see where things were headed.. I booked a back up hotel when the host refused to answer my questions about checkin. Up to an hour before check-in even Airbnb Customer Service also could not get the host to respond with check in information.  The reservation was canceled and I began referring to the host as “ghost host.”

Catherine Powell assured me that the listing was removed. But the listing was not removed only my ability to see it. My husband was able to find it under his own account, and there was yet another guest complaining of the same bait and switch. All of other guest reviews were fake. Each one of those guests saying what an amazing place it was had never been reviewed by the host or any other host.

Too easy to game the system. 

So, don’t tag me with an assertion that this is an IT problem when you know it is not. Airbnb does have IT problems, but this isn’t one of them. Airbnb has a fraud problem, and if someone who is like me, an experienced host, is reporting it, and they still aren’t responding and there’s a problem in the system.

By the way, Airbnb also ignored me when I told them they had a problem in Kansas City. As a result yesterday, the City Council unanimously voted to ban short term rentals owned by non-occupants in residential neighborhoods. They now have to go to commercial or mixed use areas. This happened after Airbnb asked us to help lobby the city for a law five years ago that would make rentals legal, then allowed close to 1600+  absentee owners to set up rentals that weren’t registered which also increased competition for bookings.  (Only 292 of us are legally permitted). My neighbor’s bookings plummeted from being booked almost every day to a few weekends a month.

So we are anticipating that bait and switch is going to happen here too. That people will move their addresses to Kansas City, Kansas because Airbnb doesn’t verify if the listing exists or if the person owns the house, and then those hosts will just redirect people to the Airbnb‘s in Kansas City, Missouri because most guests don’t know we are two different cities in two different states.  (we are adjacent but separated by a state line)

But we have a back up system here now. Residents can report illegal activity and the fine will be up to $1000 per day for the host AND Airbnb and VRBO

Btw…People have been reporting the West Hollywood scams to an organization in Los Angeles, which is also tracking them because Los Angeles taxes and regulates Airbnb‘s and West Hollywood does not.

Airbnb is going to lose the battle if it doesn’t pay attention to loyal hosts who are telling them where the problem points are and get on top of it.

This is a lack of leadership at Airbnb. This is not an I/T problem.  

* **[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Christine615,

Thank you again for flagging this listing here in the Community Center. Airbnb does not tolerate this kind of behavior from any Host and after a thorough investigation, the Host and their listings were removed from the Airbnb platform earlier this year.

It's important to note that bait-and-switch tactics are strictly prohibited on Airbnb, and our specialized Trust team always investigates and provides support to any guests who may need it. 

Here’s a few articles on how Airbnb verifies both Hosts and their listings.

Thank you for your continued vigilance and support,

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thanks. That’s helpful since it was not true when I listed as a host. One flaw is it doesn’t prove the person has the right to list (permission from homeowner if the host is a tenant, or a legal permit where required).

Because of this Kansas City, for example, just voted to ban the majority of STR’s in the city as of May 5. More than 1600.

So unless Airbnb monitors private messages, we’re anticipating legit addresses in Kansas City, Kansas being listed as cover for a bait and switch that sends the guests across the state line to Kansas City, Missouri. 

A large management company is already telling clients to “delist” and register properties in Kansas but not cancel their existing bookings.

I know moderators don’t control corporate. Just hoping it gets flagged and forwarded as a heads up. Airbnb called and emailed me to help advocate for them five years ago to get a law on the books. Then listed hosts that flaunted their disregard for that law. This is the result 😞

Appreciate you for responding ❤️