how is listing your property on multiple platforms is working

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

how is listing your property on multiple platforms is working

Now that people have been listing their properties on multiple platforms for a little while now I was wondering how that is working out. What issues have you come across and which platforms do you think are good and which ones are bad.  

19 Replies 19

Wow, @Debra300, what a great overview and comparison post.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Debra300 @Inna22 @Sam397 @John65 @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Well, before Covid, the following was my experience.  Now of course with Australian International borders closed, and some State borders as well, all my bookings are local, longer and usually business couples requiring multiple work stations to work from home.

1. Airbnb - represented about 60% of bookings (some locals and mostly Asians but some Americans, Europeans and Brits).  These days I am finding many entitled guests wanting everything for nothing. I have used Airbnb as my master calendar up until their removal of notes on blocked dates – now reconsidering.
  2. HomeAway (VRBO): 35%. (not many local Australians mostly Americans,Canadians, Europeans and Brits mature groups). Good quality guests.
  3. Booking.com - 0% of bookings – have discontinued
  4. TripAdvisor: 0% of bookings but some queries.  Usually from young groups wanting a discount which I have no interest in – have discontinued
  5. Repeats, word of mouth: 5% of bookings. Cons: More work for payment collection and does not comply for local Landlord Insurance cover.
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

In the spirit of sharing data, I will expect further and with current numbers

1. my own site, google, etc- no new guests but good to have to redirect, for example when airbnb decided to not allowed 1 night reservations in Chicago and guests were cancelled. I have just taken the site down because the city of Chicago does not allow it
  2. TripAdvisor- does not allow Chicago listings
  3. Booking.com. I have never had a reservation that did not turn into a problem for one reason or another, all due to faulty functions of their site. About 5% of overall volume. You can not up your prices there for the same type of "room", it is against the contract so instead I offer an option with breakfast so it is not the same type and charge 30% markup to make up for the pain in the behind factor
  4. Homeaway is about 20%. They are not my type of guest. I offer big properties downtown Chicago. They are not glamorous but you can pack a big group and walk everywhere. When you divide my price by 12 friends, it becomes cheap. Homeaway guests are usually families that book my house for a family of 4 for each person to have a bedroom and expect nice amenities because they just paid a lot of money. 
  5. Peerspace- about 1% of high quality easy guests that book for photo shoots etc. They money I made was worth the time I spent on the listings
  6. Airbnb is the rest. Where do I even begin with pros and cons
  7. Craigslist- never got any worthy leads, dropped it. Same with facebook

To summarize, list everywhere and see where it takes you

Great post, @Sam397 ! Exactly what I am interested in nearly 3 years later!

I am on the verge on appointing a management agency and trying to decide between their Airbnb-only package (which includes some direct bookings through their relationship with corporate clients or insurers requiring short-term accommodation) and their multi-platform (and direct bookings) package. The difference is a 2.2% fee (18% + GST vs 20% + GST).

Given the input of fellow Aussies @Wendy117 , @John65 , @Kath9 and @Robin6 on this thread, I've very interested in how you've gone over the last few years... how many of your bookings are coming through other platforms now?

Given I am in NSW and am subject to the 180-night cap, I will be relying on the agency's other channels to bump up the number of longer stays that are not subject to the cap. For this reason, if Airbnb is still far and away the dominant player, I'd be leaning towards their Airbnb-only package.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!

@Shaun125   Not sure how relevant my situation is to you - I am not impacted by the 180 day limit.  As my last post was just July 2020 there has not been much change, except now international bookings are trickling in - typically from Airbnb.  I have had guests who still prefer Stayz - usually seniors - who have read horror stories about Airbnb and do not want to use it.  Stayz/Homeaway/VRBO bookings have all been Kiwis or Australians since July but I know that will change when Travel Exemptions are no longer required to enter Australia.  I am interested to see how all of this changes when all is normal again.