proper cleaning of pillows and bedding between stays.

proper cleaning of pillows and bedding between stays.

Should I clean all bedding between stays or is straying with disinfectant good enough?

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cheryl682 

I would suggest to clean bedlinen between stays  :>)

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Cheryl682,

I use zippered encasements for my bed pillows, and wash them in between each guest stay.  There are several brands available.  These are the ones that I use: https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Bedding-Waterproof-Encasement-Allergens/dp/B01JLPDMC2.  I wash all bed sheets, pillow cases, and duvet covers between each guest stay.

I also put a zippered encasement on the mattress.  Then put on a waterproof mattress pad, and cover it with a waterproof elastic band mattress encasement.  I wash the top mattress encasement between each guest stay, spray the mattress pad with a fabric disinfectant, and wash it once a month or after a long-term stay has ended.  

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

I do have zipped covers for pillows and bed.  thank you.  this what I was hoping to hear.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

Of course wash, clean, strange question).

I was referring to the comforter and pillows.   

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Cheryl682,

I wash the pillows every couple of months. One of my main purposes for using the encasements along with the pillow cases is to block moisture and body oils getting to the pillow stuffing, which I spray with fabric disinfectant.  I have a listing in Atlanta, and use a bed cover and a blanket on the bed during the cooler months, but not a comforter, because it would not fit in the apartment's washing machine and dryer.  These bedding items get washed in between guest stays.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Maxine33
Level 8
Alexandria, VA

Yes.  Wash all bedding, pillow cases and protectors, and the blankets too.  

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I wouldn't bother with either..............

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Helen350  It sounds like a joke)

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yes @Anna9170 , TOO much talk of cleaning, needed a fresh perspective! And a laugh! - Time to stop fretting over SO much cleaning!

- Yes, wash sheets, pillowcases & duvet covers (in Europe.) But the duvet itself can only be washed very infrequently, personally I can get a single duvet in my machine, but not a double one! Needs a trip to the laundrette, once every few years! And my feather UK king size/US/Aus queen size duvet? - Not cleanable!

Sorry I do have protector pillow covers and protector bed covers that will be washed between stays along with washing all sheets and blankets.I was not sure about the pillows after every stay.   

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Helen350  I agree with you that talks about cleaning have already turned into paranoia. )

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cheryl682 

Cheryl, I am not trying to be rude here but think for a moment, what would you like to go to bed with at night.......Some random strangers dribble on the pillow covered up with a bit of freshener? 

Someone elses bladder leakage, the result of that bad dream, or even worse the result of some rumpy pumpy between the sheets.

All bedding that actually comes in contact with the guest must be washed between guests with detergent and sanitiser....... and that means pillowcases, sheets, Duna/Duvet covers.

In addition I wash mattress protectors and pillow protectors between each guest, I have three sets that I rotate, just like changing the sheets. I also iron sheets and pillowcases so the guest can see the ironing creases. It just gives them a bit more confidence that what they are going to sleep on is really clean.

You have to remember, the bed is the centrepiece of any rental property, if a guest has a good nights sleep in a comfortable clean bed they will overlook other shortcomings and give a good review. If they don't feel comfortable about the bed you are going to really struggle to get good reviews.

Cheryl, make the bed as clean as you can possibly make it........believe me, it is worth it!

Cheers........Rob

Thanks I do have protector pillow covers and protector bed covers that will be washed between stays along with washing all sheets and blankets.I was not sure about the pillows after every stay.   But to be safe I will wash everything.  Thanks