vienna ortstaxe

Answered!
Lana1094
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

vienna ortstaxe

Hi everybody!
My german is not so good, so I am a bit confused with calculating ortstaxe. Can somebody please explain by example which number do I put in https://www.wien.gv.at/finanzen/abgaben/ortstaxenrechner.html and how do I know if I belong to "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" or "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte"?
I'm sure it's not that complicated, if only someone could explain it to me once.
Thank you in advance!
Bests!

1 Best Answer

Here's the explanation with examples and a note on local tax:

VAT-registered Airbnb Stay Example:

Nightly charge: €100
Stay duration: 3 nights
Total charge: €300
No breakfast cost to exclude
Enter €300 into the "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" on the Ortstaxenrechner tool.
VAT-exempt Airbnb Stay Example:

Nightly charge: €80
Stay duration: 4 nights
Total charge: €320
Breakfast cost: €10 per night (€40 total)
Subtract breakfast cost: €320 - €40 = €280
Subtract 11% for service costs: €280 - €30.8 = €249.2
Enter €249.2 into the "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte" on the Ortstaxenrechner tool.
Local Tax Explanation:
The local tax (Ortstaxe) in Vienna is 3.2% of the accommodation cost minus any exclusions (like breakfast or service costs). This tax is applied per person and per night's stay.

Disclaimer:
This is a general guideline. The actual tax calculation for your Airbnb listing may vary. Consult the City of Vienna's tax guidelines or a tax professional to ensure accurate tax reporting and compliance. For further details and tax tool usage, refer to the City of Vienna's official website.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is an international community - why not ask a friend or work colleague who will be more familiar with the tax system in your country @Lana1094 

Here's the explanation with examples and a note on local tax:

VAT-registered Airbnb Stay Example:

Nightly charge: €100
Stay duration: 3 nights
Total charge: €300
No breakfast cost to exclude
Enter €300 into the "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" on the Ortstaxenrechner tool.
VAT-exempt Airbnb Stay Example:

Nightly charge: €80
Stay duration: 4 nights
Total charge: €320
Breakfast cost: €10 per night (€40 total)
Subtract breakfast cost: €320 - €40 = €280
Subtract 11% for service costs: €280 - €30.8 = €249.2
Enter €249.2 into the "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte" on the Ortstaxenrechner tool.
Local Tax Explanation:
The local tax (Ortstaxe) in Vienna is 3.2% of the accommodation cost minus any exclusions (like breakfast or service costs). This tax is applied per person and per night's stay.

Disclaimer:
This is a general guideline. The actual tax calculation for your Airbnb listing may vary. Consult the City of Vienna's tax guidelines or a tax professional to ensure accurate tax reporting and compliance. For further details and tax tool usage, refer to the City of Vienna's official website.

@Lodge102 Thank you very much for this detailed explanation!