vienna ortstaxe

Answered!
Lana1094
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

vienna ortstaxe

Hi everybody!
My german is not so good, so I am a bit confused with calculating ortstaxe. Can somebody please explain by example which number do I put in https://www.wien.gv.at/finanzen/abgaben/ortstaxenrechner.html and how do I know if I belong to "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" or "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte"?
I'm sure it's not that complicated, if only someone could explain it to me once.
Thank you in advance!
Bests!

1 Best Answer

No worries, the concept of the "Ortstaxe" (local tourist tax) in Vienna, and the differentiation between "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" (VAT-liable stays) and "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte" (VAT-exempt stays) can indeed seem a bit intricate at first glance, especially if German isn't your first language. Let's simplify it with an example and a dash of clarity.

Ortstaxe Explained

The Ortstaxe is a tax that guests pay for overnight stays in a city, with the rate set by the local municipality. In Vienna, this tax is calculated as a percentage of the accommodation price (excluding VAT).

VAT-liable vs. VAT-exempt Stays

• VAT-liable stays ("Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte"): These are stays where the accommodation provider charges you VAT. Most business and leisure stays fall under this category.
  • VAT-exempt stays ("Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte"): Certain types of stays, like those for educational purposes or some governmental-related stays, might be exempt from VAT.

Example

Let's say you're staying at a hotel in Vienna for 5 nights, and the room costs €100 per night. The total cost before taxes is €500.

• If your stay is VAT-liable, you'd enter the total cost (excluding VAT) in the calculator on the provided link. The Ortstaxe is then calculated as a percentage of this amount.
  • If your stay is VAT-exempt, you'd also enter the total cost, but the calculation or rate might differ based on the exemption criteria.

How to Know Your Category

• VAT-liable: If you're visiting for tourism, business, or any reason not specifically exempt by law, your stay is likely VAT-liable.
  • VAT-exempt: If you're unsure whether your stay qualifies for VAT exemption, it's best to consult directly with your accommodation provider. They can usually tell you based on the nature of your stay.

I hope this clears up the mist! Remember, when in doubt, reaching out to your accommodation for clarification is a smooth move—they're the local experts, after all. And for those looking to dive deeper into the riveting world of lodging taxes and regulations,** offers a treasure trove of wisdom, albeit with a sprinkle of humor and exclusivity. Don't forget to verify the information with local authorities or your accommodation provider for the most accurate guidance.

Happy travels and tax calculations! If you find yourself craving more knowledge or a good chuckle, our YouTube channel might just be your next favorite haunt.  

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2

No worries, the concept of the "Ortstaxe" (local tourist tax) in Vienna, and the differentiation between "Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte" (VAT-liable stays) and "Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte" (VAT-exempt stays) can indeed seem a bit intricate at first glance, especially if German isn't your first language. Let's simplify it with an example and a dash of clarity.

Ortstaxe Explained

The Ortstaxe is a tax that guests pay for overnight stays in a city, with the rate set by the local municipality. In Vienna, this tax is calculated as a percentage of the accommodation price (excluding VAT).

VAT-liable vs. VAT-exempt Stays

• VAT-liable stays ("Umsatzsteuerpflichtige Aufenthalte"): These are stays where the accommodation provider charges you VAT. Most business and leisure stays fall under this category.
  • VAT-exempt stays ("Umsatzsteuerbefreite Aufenthalte"): Certain types of stays, like those for educational purposes or some governmental-related stays, might be exempt from VAT.

Example

Let's say you're staying at a hotel in Vienna for 5 nights, and the room costs €100 per night. The total cost before taxes is €500.

• If your stay is VAT-liable, you'd enter the total cost (excluding VAT) in the calculator on the provided link. The Ortstaxe is then calculated as a percentage of this amount.
  • If your stay is VAT-exempt, you'd also enter the total cost, but the calculation or rate might differ based on the exemption criteria.

How to Know Your Category

• VAT-liable: If you're visiting for tourism, business, or any reason not specifically exempt by law, your stay is likely VAT-liable.
  • VAT-exempt: If you're unsure whether your stay qualifies for VAT exemption, it's best to consult directly with your accommodation provider. They can usually tell you based on the nature of your stay.

I hope this clears up the mist! Remember, when in doubt, reaching out to your accommodation for clarification is a smooth move—they're the local experts, after all. And for those looking to dive deeper into the riveting world of lodging taxes and regulations,** offers a treasure trove of wisdom, albeit with a sprinkle of humor and exclusivity. Don't forget to verify the information with local authorities or your accommodation provider for the most accurate guidance.

Happy travels and tax calculations! If you find yourself craving more knowledge or a good chuckle, our YouTube channel might just be your next favorite haunt.  

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Lana1094👋

Did @Lodge102's answer help you with your query? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

If you need any help, just shout.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines