AirBNB refusing to cover damages under Host Guarantee

Cathy1
Level 2
San Diego, CA

AirBNB refusing to cover damages under Host Guarantee

Hi,

I have a claim for just over $1,000 in damages from a guest trashing one of my listings back in January. I've had 1st level support deny claim because "I didn't notify them on time". This is despite me opening a message thread with support reporting the damage, plus calling by phone to report and ask what they want me to do, all before the two day reservation even completed. The next three agents I tried escalating with simply "upheld original decision" without even acknowledging the message thread and their own internal ticket detailing the damage. Everything is properly documented with pictures, CCTV, video of guests kicking in the door, receipts etc. but I can't seem to get to the point where anyone would even ask for any of it.

I've had a few damage claims over the last 5 years and hosting 20 listings, and vast majority of them were handled professionally and as per policies. This claim is by far the largest ever, and it could be that the dollar amount have something to do with it. Most likely it's down to an initial error that then gets perpetuated because no one I can reach has the power to fix it.

Before I go ahead and post all the additional details with pictures and screenshots, is there anyone here from AirBNB who may be interested in reviewing this decision? Without direct access to someone who can override the lower level mistake I have no available avenue but to go public with the issue. If anyone has access to anyone higher up, I'd appreciate if they can be pointed here. I'll wait a couple of days to give them an opportunity to fix the problem, hope to see a DM and we can take it from there.

I understand this forum is controlled by AirBNB and negative posts might get removed. At this point I'm simply trying to get assistance with what appears to be an incorrectly adjudicated claim.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Did you file a police report? I was told that any claim over $300 had to be accompanied by a police report. Go on Twitter and message Airbnb.

Cathy1
Level 2
San Diego, CA

No one asked for a police report. I've never had support ask for that before. I have all the pictures, CCTV, videos and even the guest admitted in AirBNB message to trashing the place with some personal drama story. This is not a question of them disputing anything, all I get is a "you're late" answer.

Twitter gets forwarded back to their support and doesn't get escalated. I've tried this a few times in the past as well.