Airbnb Refund for Hotel Expenses After a Rental Became Unlivable, but Requiring a 1099?!

Karen457
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

Airbnb Refund for Hotel Expenses After a Rental Became Unlivable, but Requiring a 1099?!

So after nightmare Airbnb experience, many hours going back and forth with Airbnb they are refunding me for hotel expenses because the rental was unlivable (story under another thread). However, they are sending it as a payout as if I'm a host - I received a message from Airbnb stating, "Now that you are taking reservations, you must fill out tax forms to receive it."

I told the rep and she said she has "never heard of this" but would look into it, but she's not getting back to me... this has been a common thread, they disappear and I have to start all over. I need the $ but do not want it to cause problems with the IRS, obviously I'd have to pay taxes on it but also I don't want them to think I'm an Airbnb host as I'm not. Not sure what to do here and am exhausted from dealing with this whole thing for over 2 weeks now.  Anyone happen to have advice on this? Thank you in advance!

I received an answer from a host on the main thread. Doesn't sound like a big deal - was going to delete this but don't see the option. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Karen457    I've been reading your posts (I'm the one who told you my daughter lives in Todos Santos) and am so sorry and disgusted by the situation you've had to endure. This host needs to be delisted.

I also saw Letti's reply to you in the other thread.

I just wanted to tell you that I also recently received a response from a clueless CS rep which had nothing to do with the 2 very simple questions I had asked, and in fact, she responded as if I was a guest asking how to apply for a refund, when it was obvious from my message that I was a host. I called her out on it- that she had obviously not even read my message before responding with a cut and paste answer. I try to deal with CS in a way that I eventually get what I'm after, although it can take a few back and forths, or in some cases just starting over in the hopes that I get a rep who actually understands policy and tries to help. So this means that while pointing out that the response was completely unhelpful and off-point, I mention that I realize that they have a hard job and I thank them for their time. I'm sure they get tired of hosts and guests yelling at them all the time, even though they often deserve it.

In my case, I was very direct about the incompetence of the reps response, while trying to be polite. To her credit, she apologized and admitted that she gets so busy she sometimes fails to really read  and comprehend the messages. I'm sure you're over-the-top fed up with Airbnb by now, but I do think we should not let incompetent CS reps get away with bad service.

P.S. If you want, I could ask my daughter if she might happen to know of a suitable place for you for a week in Todos Santos, until your new place is ready. You could send me a personal message on this site (click on my profile photo, and then "Send message".

Thank you such much Sarah! I agree with you on all of that - I always aim to be super polite as I've worked in customer service before and thank them many times although point out when I'm given incorrect information. In one case, the CS rep was really rude and obviously hadn't read anything at all and made the whole situation worse. He was the same one who lied to me that payments had gone out when they never had and said it was my "payment method's fault." I was surprised this last one had never heard of being asked for tax information for a payout - thankfully Lisa was able to answer that question and I ended up getting the payment this afternoon. I really appreciate that offer, I had to secure housing for tomorrow so I did that early today, arranging for a place here in La Paz and my good friend in Todos Santos is working really hard to make sure everything is finished in time for us to move into the 15th so it won't be long now. For some reason I can't tag you in this - the site seems to be having difficulties but going to try and get back to it a bit later, heading to dinner now. Thank you so much again for your help!