Airbnb collecting money without showing any proof or evidence

Tim339
Level 3
Sumy, Ukraine

Airbnb collecting money without showing any proof or evidence

Recently Airbnb collected 174 dollars from my credit card saying I stole a laptop and a leather jacket from a host I was staying at.

They didn't give me no evidence I stole that. They didn't even try to prove anything. They just collected money.

I didn't steal those things... and I want my money back. Maybe you know where to complain?? And what to do?

19 Replies 19

@Tim339,

Here in FR things doesn't work that way!

You fill a complaint but alone! Nobody would agree to go to the police with the "supposed" thief because the police would have refused to take the complaint arguing it's a personal issue.

And I suppose (and hope for you) she only made a "plainte contre X" (complaint against person unknown) because she didn't asked your ID on check-in (by law she should have taken it) so you could enjoy the rest of your stay in FR and could go back home without more issues.

About "I also suggested Airbnb they ask my host in Lyon (the next city I went) to check my bags and look for a laptop.... they didn't react at all." Simply because by law they are not authorized to do so, no way!

You are angry because you think you had been considered "guilty of theft" (under the law in FR - 3 years in prison +45.000€ fine) while Airbnb "just" considered you were liable for missing host properties (174USD charged).

To complaint about Airbnb see -19. Dispute Resolution and arbitration agreement- of TOS but be aware that for AAA

• The initial filing fee for the consumer is capped at $200;

Tim339
Level 3
Sumy, Ukraine

Rebecca, let me take 200 dollars from you, and I will see how you will lose all the !!!!!!

I've been talking to Airbnb all these last 2 weeks about this... on the phone and emails... but the thing is every time somebody new is replying, and they always don't know nothing... and they just avoid the subject of evidence to prove my guilt.

I'm just curious is there any place a person can complaint about Airbnb??

@Tim339

"If Airbnb determines IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION that you are responsible" means they will NEVER EVER give you any evidence!

Perhaps because they don't have any but surely because they don't want to. In all dispute between users they are are the same time judge and involved parties.

The only thing you could do is, as @Rebecca0 said, take a breath and try to ask them through any social media (Twitter or FB) to have the case reopened but with no garantee they will do it. 

Thanks!

Well, the case is still open... and they are sort of reviewing it... probably cause my bank asked them to give the money back!

I just hate the manner Airbnb did all this.... first they closed the case a month ago saying they won't collect no money from me.... then suddenly 3 weeks later they collcted money without even letting me know about it. If not an sms from my bank I wouldn't even know about that. 

And they didn't show no evidence, they didn't prove I stole it. It's not a 3rd world country!! First you gotta prove somebody's guilt, and only them charge him with something! 

I wish you good luck with the whole situation Tim. You know, Karma is a bitch. Although I do not believe in karma. I believe only in honesty. Honesty will always prevail. That was my 100% experience as a tourleader in Southern Europe and North Africa. I wish you the best for 2019!