Airbnb refers criminals to hosts

Marc8385
Level 1
Spartanburg, SC

Airbnb refers criminals to hosts

I am very disappointed in the number of convicted felons Airbnb has put in my home. On 2 different occasions these felons stole from me personal property and Airbnb did nothing to help me. Who else has this happen to let’s file a class action 

5 Replies 5

@Marc8385   Did you read the Terms and Conditions before you listed on Airbnb? Sec. 23:

23.11 No Class Actions or Representative Proceedings. You and Airbnb acknowledge and agree that, to the fullest extent permitted by law, we are each waiving the right to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action lawsuit, class-wide arbitration, private attorney general action, or any other representative or consolidated proceeding. Unless we agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one party’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If there is a final judicial determination that applicable law precludes enforcement of the waiver contained in this paragraph as to any claim, cause of action or requested remedy, then that claim, cause of action or requested remedy, and only that claim, cause of action or requested remedy, will be severed from this agreement to arbitrate and will be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction. In the event that a claim, cause of action or requested remedy is severed pursuant to this paragraph, then you and we agree that the claims, causes of action or requested remedies that are not subject to arbitration will be stayed until all arbitrable claims, causes of action and requested remedies are resolved by the arbitrator.

I don't know how much experience you have from the guests' side of things, but Airbnb does not act as a placement service that vets guests and then "refers" them to your home. It's a third-party broker that allows anyone over 18 to create a profile and instantly start requesting listings. You as a host are responsible for communicating with the guests before accepting bookings to determine whether they're a suitable fit, and you have the right to decline them if they don't inspire your confidence. Unless prohibited in your locality, you may require guests to present an ID in order to check in, and you may terminate the booking and remove them if they aren't following your rules. 

Of course, it's not enough just to prevent bad guests - you also want to have listings that attract the good ones. Even if you don't have the budget yet to add some decorations to the rental space (which I do recommend when you can), putting some real effort into the photos and descriptions can do you a world of good.

@Anonymous  I agree with everything in your comment, but inserting those terms as if to say you can't do class action is too superficial assessment. This clause may be considered invalid for certain state laws in the United States and elsewhere. Some courts have decided that contractual clauses that purport to limit a party's access to class action or representative proceedings are unenforceable, except in very special cases. Even in the United States. In any case a judge will decide and you can always challenge a contractual clause.

@Gianni265 If the OP believes that he has the legal mettle to conquer a $75 billion corporation because he didn't have great results from renting a bedroom that looks like a prison cell to 3 guests this summer, I would be genuinely fascinated to see how his case turns out. For a reference point, you can see the review left for him as a guest and the rather profane reciprocal one that he left a well-regarded host. Show me a great lawyer who wants to take that case; I have a bridge to sell him.

I'm honestly puzzled, what exactly is your expertise here? You have no profile, no listing, no reviews, no photo - are you even a person or a bot?

Dear @Anonymous I don't think in this case it would be a good idea to sue Airbnb. Did I write it? No. I just wrote what I wrote. Which is absolutely true and evidently you are offended because I corrected you.

Are you here to offend people and deliver sensational messages to get good grades? Are you here to show your paucity in not following a trivial education advice? That is, do not judge others by his clothes, in this case by photos, by profiles and I would also say by what they do not write.

However, it's clear to me that in these matters I know more than you. Politness and legal aspect about validity of that clause. The rest you can ask politely, this is not the case. Phenomenon.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Marc8385 

@Anonymous  is absolutely correct.   To add as well, it is your investment, property and business, subject to your rules.  Airbnb is only a service to help facilitate marketing your place.  You pretty much have full control.  You accepted the bookings and it sounds like you may not have vetted the guests accurately. Just my opinion.  Good luck in your future bookings