Airbnb unauthorized price change

John2279
Level 2
Visalia, CA

Airbnb unauthorized price change

Hi,

My manually set prices on Airbnb (I have never turned on Smart Pricing) were changed by Airbnb.  I had AirDNA (subscription allowed to lapse)  and SmartBNB (now Hospitable).  But, I never activated their Smart pricing functions.  I am just trying to think through this maddening experience.

The ambassador said they had never heard of this before, but reading older conversations this seems to be an infrequent, though recurring issue.

Luckily, I had just turned off the Instant Booking function.  None the less, it cost me a reservation from a request who thought I was arbitrarily raising the prices. I now one other request where, the difference is small, and I will honor this and take the small loss.

But, I have made all dates unavailable until this problem is fixed and may post a disclaimer listing the actual prices in the listing to avoid future adverse encounters.  This will cost us.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks,

John

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@John2279 

So can you give an example in what way "Airbnb changed your prices" ?

Is about fixed prices or is it about discounts ?

Using external pricing features can change your pricing.

Useally prices are only set as  (if not using Smart Pricing):

- default base price per night for the listing

- manually in the calender on selected dates

- decreased/increased by a percentage via rule sets, on applied dates

- for certain time periods (like specific week,month, custom time period)

I never experienced Airbnb changed my prices. And a lot of people complaining here about incorrect prices at the end have been overlooking discounts.

John2279
Level 2
Visalia, CA

@Emiel1 

1. Here is how "Airbnb changed my prices":  The last 4 days I have manually set prices, the last two times for $1 or $2 more as a test.  The next day, or even sooner, the prices revert back to what was there before I manually set prices.  Today, the prices were higher than what I manually set.  

2. It is about fixed prices that I have manually placed.  We offer weekly and monthly discounts.  

3. I do not use external pricing.

4. I do not use Smart Pricing.

5. My default base rate is higher than the price that Airbnb displays.  When I manually set it to the base price, it reverts back to the lower price.

6. I have not set up rules to decrease prices unless a guest reserves for one week or one month.

7. I have not set up rules for specific weeks, months or custom time period.

Airbnb is changing my prices.  I have not overlooked discounts.  

At the beginning of this conversation, I made available a previously blocked week and manually set the same price for all the dates.  I checked just now (4 minutes later) and Airbnb had increased my Friday and Saturday by 18% from my weekday rates.  

@John2279 it feels like smart pricing is on even though you have switched it off. Do you have the wiggly line on your calendar?

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Hi and hope all is well.  Yes, it certainly seems like Smart Pricing has decided it does not want to be turned off...ever.  I have had 3 ambassadors confirm that it is indeed off.  But, I did check for the wiggly line and none are present.  I would like to ask you a question, however, if I set my base price to $X and my weekend price to $Y, I should still be able to manually override these prices, correct?  I am not sure what the "base price" function serves, given that I change my prices based on a variety of factors and the set price rarely is the same as the base price.  Thanks!

@John2279 for the apartment where we don't use smart pricing the base price is important because it is the price that is applied automatically by the system as dates open up in your calendar (we have a 6 month window). After that you should be able to update your prices manually

@Mike-And-Jane0 

That makes sense and I would like it if that is all it did.  Unfortunately that is not our case.  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.  

Helen744@ John2279. I have noticed this as well but one thing that can happen especially with covid around is because of all the cleaning involved people have set two three or even five day minimums. If others looking for your listing or you reviewing it have added a filter or dates then it will add together different priced dates and average them out .Sometimes you may put in a discount for a weekend and it simply stays there unless you review it.

@Helen744 

Hi, thanks again for taking the time to reply with two tips.  I now only have 3 weeks open and it still is changing my price.  My weekends are more expensive by $50.  But, the prices change to prices ending in $11, $27, $42 ...odd.

Helen 744@John2279, sometimes I forget to save the changes and/ or the buttons for saving are not until the bottom of the entire page. This has mucked me up before . There are three discounts that can be in place Separate to usual pricing.It is not easy to put the recommended pricing from Airbnb on but if it is going on then I do not think they are doing it but the features do appear to whiz around more than I would like personally and if I apply discounts they remain hidden away until they trip me  up .We are all trying to get ready to make some money here in Australia .One day anyway.Tourism seems to be non existant at the moment. I wonder why no one wants to be shut up in my house ?Maybe it is time to re invent the Airbnb experience especially focusing somehow on the outdoor experience , walks and neighbourhoods . Any other ideas?

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Helen744@John 2279John There is your problem . You cannot have a base price and also manually change  to two different prices.Turn off base price and manually add base price thru the week with different prices for the weekend or everything goes to your base price. Cheers Helen.

@Helen744 

I would love to do nothing more than turn off the base price...as it is useless.  But, the Airbnb agent said I have to have a base price.

I cannot see how to turn off the base price, any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

@John2279  The Airbnb agent is a clueless idiot. When you set your prices manually, you most defintely don't have to have a base price. Base prices have to do with smart pricing, so that smart pricing won't price below that, which you say you aren't using.

@Sarah977 

Sarah, thanks.  I have talked now to 4 of them and been given similar advice.  It is frustrating.  Yes, I confirmed (likely 10 times now) that Smart pricing is not on.  

But, what is so weird is that Airbnb is "making" me set a base price.  Here is the error message when I try to enter "0" as my base price:

Please use a base price of at least $10 but no more than $10,000.

Argh

@Helen744 we have a base price and are able to set each night's pricing manually.