Apartment split in two (and on separate floors)

Lisa487
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Apartment split in two (and on separate floors)

So I am considering purchasing an apartment to let on Airbnb. It is a 1st floor (2nd for North American readers) 1 bedroom apartment that also has use of a room on the 4th floor of the building. The 4th floor has no plumbing so there is no option to make that room a separate unit.

Any ideas on how to make use of this additional room? Obviously, anyone staying in it would have to come down 3 flights of stairs to make use of the kitchen, bathroom etc.

I don't intend to rent by the room, only by the entire apartment.

4 Replies 4
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa487,

I am a bit confused about shat's going on with the 2nd and 3rd floors.  Are there separate self-contained apartments on those floors?  Will the first floor guest have to go through any part of another residence to access the 4th floor?  What are you considering to put in the 4th floor room that would be attractive and usable by guests?

@Lisa487 me too I'm confused.

I would to add boring legal advices. 😁Make sure everything is in order and that you can rent all (apartment and room) in Airbnb according to your local rules. Check if people can sleep in that room and what you can do there, in certain areas if it is classified as a cellar it must be used only for storage of goods. I guess you have a window. I suppose the stairs are common to other apartments. Will the neighbors accept your guests use them often? Will you have the building's permission to have short rentals?

You have to imagine what kind of guests you will have or want to attract. Size of the room, how you can reach and budget are very important.

A small office with a desk, printer etc can be very useful. A games room with TV, video games or a cinema room with large screen and stereo system. If you don't allow smoking that could be the smoking room you prepare with suitable materials. An extra bed is always useful, a sofa bed can be a good idea. If the stairs are private it can be the second bedroom, not perfect but useful. You can mix all: smoking room with sofa bed, TV, video games, stereo, a desk, chair, and a printer. 

Specify well in the ad how to reach it, via private or condominium stairs and every details.

Good luck!

p.s. if big enough, I would do my best to bring the plumbing, even asking the condominium for permissions

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Lisa487 That is different and interesting. You could make it into so many things....a games room, an art studio or a gym/exercise room. 

Whoever is in the floor just below that might not appreciate a gym/exercise room- unless the building is quite sound-proofed between floors, I'd think it might not be a great idea to make that room into something with potential for noise. An art studio or office space might work, though.