As a guest I did not receive a full refund even though my room was double booked

芷薇0
Level 1
Singapore

As a guest I did not receive a full refund even though my room was double booked

I want to complain

I made a reservation in AIRbnb in 18 OCT. The booking no .booking No, ** But the owner replied, the room is full, asked me to cancel the booking, I did in accordance with his meaning to cancel, but I only received a refund of ¥ 57 (my reservation is ¥ 64) you deducted ¥ 7 fee, which Is unreasonable charges, because the cancellation of the reason is because the owner of the room is full, and the booking has not more than 24 hours to cancel.I have the experience of booking a hotel room on another site, they usually give a few days to cancel the period, your website looks friendly enough, very disappointing. I strongly hope that you will refund your incorrectly charged ¥ 7 as soon as possible. I will share this story with my friends.

4 Replies 4
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @芷薇0

I'm sorry that you are not happy with the amount of refund you have received. The reason you have not received the exact amount you paid is likely to be due to the non-refundable service fees. You can find more information about this in these two help articles: Do I get a full refund if I cancel and What are service fees?

I also wanted to let you know that I have moved your post here to a new thread in the Travellers board. This board is for people to share experiences and help each other in matters relating to travelling. I have given it a title - let me know if you want to change it!

Kirstie

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@芷薇0  Contact Air BNB and explain that the host asked you to cancel due to the double booking.  You should have had your messaging through Air BNB so there is proof that you did as the host asked.  Air BNB should be able to refund the Air BNB fees or apply the fee to another suitable booking.  

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@芷薇0

I'm sorry you were 'duped' by a host who did not keep his calendar up-to-date and thus had the loss transferred to you. In fact, since it was his fault, he should have cancelled from his side, but knew that as a  host he would be penalized in several ways. Next time, if it's not your fault but the host's, have them solve the situation instead of you. Maybe you still have a chance to call Airbnb about this and explain the situation. The number should be on your reservation.

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @芷薇0,

Too bad you can't stay at the place selected< i hope you still have a good trip!

To prevent disappointment on both sides, Airbnb has some rules in place to minimise the number of cancellations. It's important that you are familiar with all the rules that come with booking through this platform, because I'm sure the host has done so. 

The penalties for cancelling are far more severe for a host, that's why you were asked to cancel instead of the other way around! I see that you are a host yourself, even more important that you are aware of this!

Get in touch with Airbnb, for more details click here If you have proof in the Airbnb chat that this sneaky host asked you to cancel even though they messed up their availibility, you might be able to get this reversed.

Good luck!