Asking for 5 stars?

Asking for 5 stars?

I think I have seen various comments here about asking for 5 stars when you communicate with guests. Is this something you do, and how do you go about that? 
It feels presumptuous to me to ask for a specific rating but it truly feels like many guests do not understand how Airbnb rating works. They seem to think that its reasonable to give lower ratings even when they leave a glowing review.  I know you all get this.  Is there a tactful way to let guests know that anything less than 5 stars is hard on us as hosts? We already have a note at the end of our welcome booklet that says "If there is anything about your stay that would keep you from giving us a 5 star review let us know so we can fix it. " Is there anything else we should add, or say in a different place? 

8 Replies 8
Amanda1073
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

In my listing I wrote, "we strive for 5 stars, so please let us know right away if something is amiss so that we may resolve the issue right away. We want your trip to memorable in the best way possible!"

I saw that wording when I was traveling and because I didn't contact the host right away, I didn't feel like I could give him anything less than 5 stars. It kind of puts the onus on the renter. 

BING *best practice*!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris-and-Christy0  There are many threads on this and you indicate that you have read some of them. I never ask guests for a 5 star review- what I do is explain to them the discrepancy between what Airbnb tells guests when they go to do the review and the way that Airbnb applies those ratings to hosts. It's just an education process I find necessary because of the non-transparency of the platform. When I inform guests that although Airbnb leads guests to think that 4*s is a "Good" rating, that they then turn around and send hosts "pull up your socks" warnings for anything below about 4.7 and will strip Superhost status for anything below 4.8, my guests are quite shocked. They don't like unfairness and non-transparency any more than hosts do. I also tell them how absurd I think it is that 4*s shouldn't be considered good enough. In other words, I convey the facts and my honest feelings about the rating system and leave it to them to do with that information what they will. So far I've had 5* ratings across the board. And guests have thanked me for letting them know how it works. Good guests have no intention of tanking a host's ratings unless the place is actually not up to snuff and some of those guests may be contemplating hosting themselves, so they find the info valuable. One of my guests was already well aware of all this because his sister has an Airbnb listing. He commiserated about how punitive the system is to hosts and how nasty it is that they tell guests that a 4* rating is Good, when they consider it anything but when applying those ratings to hosts.

As I host a private room my home for 1 guest and have a 3 day minimum, I usually have ample interaction time with my guests for this conversation to take place without feeling forced. For entire place listings, I think written wording about this would be a bit trickier.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I have sadly been the victim of a string of 4 star guests recently, mostly for no other reason than the guests felt that 4 stars was good enough.  However, in two cases, the guests had caused problems and left low ratings in retaliation.  I designed this message which I might start sending to at least some of the guests who stay with me.

"As a Superhost, AirBNB essentially requires that I receive nothing less than a 5 star rating from all guests.  While 4 stars, in most environments, is seen as “good”, in the AirBNB rating system this is considered an unacceptable rating and could lead to suspension of my listings from their platform or even removal entirely from their website.

During your visit, I will strive to provide 5 star service; if for any reason, you feel that there is something lacking during your stay please let me know so I may correct the issue.  Thank you and please enjoy your stay!"

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would never ask for a five star review. I think it's completely inappropriate and unprofessional @Chris-and-Christy0 

Nor would I try and make guests feel bad and try and guilt trip them, by saying if they leave less than a 5 star rating by saying I might have my account suspended or lose my superhost status.

In my guest book I explain Airbnb's rating system. I also ask guests to let me know if there is anything about their stay that they feel is not in line with my listing description or any problems during their stay to let me know and I will do my best to help/resolve.

@Helen3- I used to feel the same way, but it simply seems that some guests are now leaving 4 stars by default.  I was at 4.8/4.9 for some time on all listings, but now this has dropped into the 4.7's due to several 4 star guests.  My overall is still a solid 4.8, however, so my super-host status is not yet in danger.

One thing I've noticed is that people over in the UK I think have better guests, but that's just my opinion.  In my area, near to Washington DC, I have come across a large number of people who often act entitled and disrespect or disregard house rules.  Also numerous cases of people trying to circumvent check-in and check-out time, entering off limits areas of the home, or trying to sneak in extra people.  The worst people, by far, are locals from inner city Washington DC and, as a group, they tend to cause the most problems and leave the lowest ratings.  I use instant book which I think tends to attract these types of guests.  But again, just my opinion.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not sure we have better guests @Anthony608  🙂

I use IB too, but include vetting questions as part of my process. I think this is one of the best ways to ensure there is a good fit.

You could ask your guests to confirm  once booked that they understand that if they bring in extra guests over and above those booked, it will lead to their booking being cancelled.  (I am presuming you have house rules that confirmed no guests who have not booked and paid can be on the premises). You can also ask them to confirm they have understood your check in and check out times and will abide by them.

I am not sure how they are trying to enter off-limit areas - can you lock the doors so they can't have access and put up signs to remind them these are private areas?

@Helen3- That sounds like an interesting feature with the vetting questions.  I looked on the IB settings and didn't see a way to do it.  Can you provide instructions on how to add those questions?

As for off limits areas, the back of my house, location of the dining room and living room-office, are off limits but there are no doors separating them, just open archways.  It is spelled out very clearly in house rules, as well as welcome message sent to guests, that this area is where I typically work and live at night, and is off limits.  I would say 15% of all guests I have ever had have wandered into this area.  Only two were serious problems.  A man from China who looked through my mail in my office and then a large family, renting both rooms, who completely disregarded house rules and used both the living room and dining room, and wouldn't leave even after being told this was off limits.  That same group, by the way, also tried to force open the door the basement (also off limits) as they were looking for a washer and dryer, which my house summary clearly says I do not offer for guests.

I will never forget that group. The day they left they asked for my off-AirBNB contact info as well as money to invest in a get-rich-quick scheme.   They don't appear to have been active anywhere else on AirBNB after my place, but here is their profile so others may beware.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/104058536