Bad experience with a guest who manipulated the system

Elizabeth721
Level 2
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Bad experience with a guest who manipulated the system

Two Airbnb call handler called Ionut and Michael have inflicted a grave injustice on me:

can anyone reading this let me know if they know how I can get it fairly resolved please?

They have unjustly cancelled a booking without even phoning me, because the guest changed their mind on the day of arrival, with no basis to justify cancelling!  These two staff have alleged there's been a "violation in terms of service" but its untrue:  There has been NO violation in terms of service from my side.  It is difficult to believe that the customer service at Airbnb could be so poor at times like this - and now they are both covering each other's backs and misleading me that the matter is "closed" - which is a Draconian way to behave.

Neither of them  appear not to have read the thread and factual submissions I have provided and instead they have acted on HEARSAY and lies told.  The guest had not told her group anything about the booking, did not give them the floorspace /size and relevant details, when they'd asked for a huge place which doesn't fit my description!  Instead of making the best of it, the guest resorted to lying to Airbnb, and pretending there were service violations when there were not - lying there was "broken glass" endangering her 2 year old when there was not, alleging a table leg was "broken" when it was not, even misleading Airbnb that the accommodation was "dirty" when it was spotless and had 5 hours spent cleaning it earlier the same day! 

These guests from hell left used coffee cups and a mess all over the kitchen then left - and Airbnb's call handler, to  my horror, gave them a full refund after they had pretended they were "the host" (me) in order to access a full refund.  It showed up as "host cancellation".  When I raised this issue and complained,Ionut (who was responsible for these inexcusable errors) then changed it to "admin cancellation" and pushed it under the carpet, saying it was "closed".  This incensed me even more - it was bad enough having my livelihood stolen in effect, let alone having lies told and a stubborn refusal to resolve things.  It is now a whole week later and I still have not had the payment I am entitled to.

Airbnb’s employee, Ionut, has not complied with his mandatory obligation to speak to the host. There was no attempt made from his side to contact me as Michael (who took his side based on pure hearsay and fiction) which was averred.  No phone call, no opportunity for a 'fair hearing' whatsoever.

If Ionut HAD contacted me by phone as I was promised, he would not have done the refund.  I feel it is incumbent upon Airbnb to indemnity this huge blunder by Ionut.  The fact Michael has now sided with him has made things even more distressing.

The fact he made a refund based on misrepresentations and hearsay is inexcusable and must now be out right. I am owed £814 for this booking. I've asked them to Please authorise this to be paid to me immediately as Airbnb is contractually bound to do.

I have raised a complaint about the maladministration and mishandling of this matter.

I’m very disappointed at the bad experience I’m having on account of wrongful unilateral decisions being made without first checking any if the facts. This matter isn’t closed as Ionut and Michael have unfairly asserted.. 
It’s apparent they aren’t even liaising with their higher management over this.
Airbnb are contractually bound to pay the booking fee to me of £814 without delay, and to take proper note that there was been NO contractual violations from my side whatsoever.

How does one get through to the senior management at Airbnb?  It has huge weaknesses in its admin set up, it appears.  I am very upset about this 

There's little that's worse than when open communication completely breaks down and injustices abound.

Thank you

Liz

8 Replies 8
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Good morning @Elizabeth721 

Please reach out to @Laura_C  who is an ABB representative here in CC & is Head of Customer Services as she will be able to assist you.

Msg her through the PM system.

I'm sure that she will help resolve the matter including looking at the matter in chronological order and context and ensure accountability.

Make sure you provide her with your msgs btwn you & your Guest & phone times you contacted ABB Customer services

All the best and remember to write an appropriate review - there's great contributions here in CC if you use related keywords in the search box how to write & address these situations in relation to reviews & feedback after they have written there's

Meantime focus on your upcoming Guests & look at how future guests will perceive your home with what you write.

Elizabeth721
Level 2

thank you so much, Helen.  How do I reach Laura though?  I can't seem to track her, I have a message ready to send to her though...

@Elizabeth721 simply click on to @Laura_C here on the left in the middle of this sentence & it will take you directly to her profile, then send your msg.

All the best & keep us posted

Elizabeth721
Level 2

Hi Helen,

I've had a call from LARA but not Laura.  Lara has said she will put right one of the two problematic bookings, but the second one is the one which is most important and it hasn't been fairly dealt with.  This is because Lara is 'closing ranks' in allowing the following:-

- refusing to give me the purported 'proof ' of the false allegations made by the guest, in order to get out of their contract

- this is against my human rights and prevents any fair adjudication

- Unfortunately, the guest misrepresented the facts  to Airbnb and told lies.  It appears they contrived 'events' to make it appear there was a broken glass, and unscrewed the dining table leg to make it appear the table was "broken" (but its not) - and photographed these!  Airbnb are still refusing to honour my human rights and I am appalled at this maladminstration and poor customer service.  It looks like I will need to go to a solicitor over this matter which is entirely regrettable and is not my wish.  But I won't agree to be treated so unfairly and unjustly.

regards, liz

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Elizabeth721   click on the little envelope icon at the top right of your forum page and then select "new message".  In the "to" box simply type "Laura".   It will be the first one that pops up, and have "admin" by her name.  Hope that helps!  🙂

Theresa290
Level 1
Deltona, FL

I had an unstable guest here at my residence, she broke house rules with showing up with two extra guests, They used areas in my house that were off-limits and she was doing drugs in her car while her kids were in my pool unsupervised although they were teenagers I think it speaks volumes to her character. She ended up leaving a day early I wasn’t charging the additional guests charge that she was supposed to have she requested a refund I wasn’t obligated to give her one I did refund her for one day after she checked out she returned to my property and after refund was issued and hung in my driveway and then walked around my property I have had my house a locked but this was disturbing to me. I’m frustrated with the system of Airbnb because this lady will leave me a bad review as she said she would and has never stayed with Airbnb or used them ever and I have great reviews and have guests in my back area and they are exceptional guest thank going to be leaving me a great review, so it’s upsetting that someone like this who is unstable and wants confronted about doing drugs on my property and breaking house rules is able to make a review that is unfair and untrue Which can make me lose super host status and bring down my stars. I feel as though I should have credibility not her.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Elizabeth721 

Dear Liz, this likely isn’t going to end well. ABB CS can barely manage very very simple scenarios. Dramatics of this level will likely shut them right down. 

You’re alive, you’re well, abb doesn’t always pay and they often act quite counter to what reason would suggest. I would tone down the rhetoric as much as you can manage. 

You’ll throw the glass at the wall if you’re evaluating the “half-empty” part of abb CS. If you can remember what the “half-full” part of hosting is for you then that would be a better place from which to start. 

Good luck!

Penelope90
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

I think that your opinion has it merits, but it’s a very lazy way to think. I also am suffering from a ridiculous Airbnb decision, and am going to keep fighting for them to try and sort it out. If something is unjust, isn’t it better to stand up and point it out and not give up because after all , as you say, the glass is half full? Hmmmmm . Do you apply this belief to other aspects of your life? I believe it’s much better to keep striving to improve the system we work under and with, using logic and facts.