Can I use the property if it's empty?

Answered!
Wilson168
Level 1
Mount Kuring-Gai, Australia

Can I use the property if it's empty?

Hi,

I am new to the community and I am planning to rent out my investment property on Airbnb.

More often than not the guests would come on weekends, especially peak seasons.

So, during those days without guests, can I use the property (for my family to stay)?

Thanks, 

Wilson 

1 Best Answer
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Wilson168 

It's your property, investment, and also your business.  It is your responsibility to decide how to run your business within the legalities where you live.  Airbnb is a platform to market your home and collect guests  funds and pay you.  Outside of that you have full control. Do not rely on anything more  from Airbnb.  You may also want to check in with local tax accounting professionals for advice.  I don't know the taxation on capital gains in your area, but I think it's worth investigating.  And don't forget about insurance, renting for the most part requires commercial insurance, unless the host lives permanently on the premises.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Wilson168 

It's your property, investment, and also your business.  It is your responsibility to decide how to run your business within the legalities where you live.  Airbnb is a platform to market your home and collect guests  funds and pay you.  Outside of that you have full control. Do not rely on anything more  from Airbnb.  You may also want to check in with local tax accounting professionals for advice.  I don't know the taxation on capital gains in your area, but I think it's worth investigating.  And don't forget about insurance, renting for the most part requires commercial insurance, unless the host lives permanently on the premises.

Wilson168
Level 1

I have other investment properties currently leasing out on a long term basis, as in like 6 months / 1 year etc. I am getting a landlord insurance for all the investment properties. 

The "commercial insurance" you mentioned, is it the same type insurance or it's totally different category? As it's now a "business", so it falls into the category like a motel? So it needs a different type of insurance, most likely more expensive?

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

You are the owner. Airbnb has no ownership rights.

Any time you want to make your property available to family, friends, or guests who didn’t go through Airbnb just block those dates on your calendar.

Wilson168
Level 1

Aha, I see how it works now. Thanks a lot 🙂

@Wilson168  Airbnb doesn't own your property or your str business, you do. They are just a listing service.

Neither do they own your relationship with guests forever that book through Airbnb . While it's not okay to try to make a private deal with someone who contacts you through your Airbnb listing, after their booking is over, Airbnb is no longer involved. So, for instance, I tell guests who've been great and who I would be happy to have book with me again, that they can just contact me by email or phone if they ever want to come back.

And while I only list a private room in my home, I block the calendar  dates if friends or family want to come stay.

Wilson168
Level 1

It makes perfect sense to me. I will just block the dates when I want to stay with my family.

And I agree we do need to utilize Airbnb's service and respect the agreement.

Thanks,

Wilson