Cancelling guest reservation/s due to damaged dwelling - Why does the host get penalized?

Billy5
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Cancelling guest reservation/s due to damaged dwelling - Why does the host get penalized?

Dear AirBnB Community,

My wife and I recently started our 2nd AirBnB listing, a restored vintage '67 Airstream which has been very well received by all of our guest so far.  Unfortunately, a waterline broke while we were away for the weekend causing extensive water damage to the new floors we just put in as well as the subflooring. The time it will take to complete repairs will mean we need to cancel two booked reservations.

Separately, my wife and I have been hosting our house on AirBnB for over a year and have never had to cancel a reservation before, in fact at the end of this month we would be eligible for our first "super host" status. It would be an understatement to say that my wife and I were alarmed to see all the punitive messages that greet a host in an unfortunate situation of having to cancel a guest reservation’s.

Unless I missed it on the reservation cancelling process, nowhere was there an option for cancelling reservations due to damaged property making the dwelling uninhabitable, and being recognized for a situation beyond the hosts control. An option I might add, that when your already facing thousands of dollars of repairs, would be more welcomed than being penalized by AirBnB.

As noted above, we must cancel two reservations for October, with the first reservation now cancelled and the situation discussed with the guest amicably. AirBnB gives you a “warning” and no financial penalty for your first cancellation, but it appears for the 2nd cancellation we’ll need to make, we get financially penalized, removed from listing searches, and Im sure I missed some other penalties as well as our first shot at getting “super host” status revoked.

Honestly, I found the whole cancellation process and all its punitive language pretty upsetting given our situation and considering that we have always gone the extra mile to give all our guest the best “AirBnB” experience possible. Im not feeling the love in return at the moment.

For now, we have closed out the Airstream’s calendar for over 3 months to assure we have ample time to get the repairs done, but honestly, we’re considering leaving AirBnB all together if this is how AirBnB handles hosts situations like this, hosts that have done everything and then some to improve the companies brand.

A not so happy AirBnB host

5 Replies 5
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Billy5 you can try to contact Airbnb and see if they can help waive the penalty if this can fall under the extenuating circumstances policy. For the future, I highly recommend to always contact Airbnb first before canceling any reservations.

Hi Farah, Any tips for contacting AirBnB directly? I tried that before posting here,  for a way to contact AirBnB directly about this and seems I only get directed to this location.

Thanks for the help though

BJC 

Try calling +1 855-424-7262. They are always very helpful.

Thanks Helene!

I just found a section in the help center that does say AirBnB allows for extenuating circumstances, which for hosts, includes damaged/unsafe dwelling, again, unless I missed similar languge and options on the actual cancellation page, it should be added there as well.

warm regards,

BJC

Hi Farah, I think I jumped the gun in clicking the "resolved" button.  I did call the number that Helene listed (thanks again Helene!), and from there, I was told by the rep that she would need to have another AirBnB department rep call me to discuss the situation.  I think until this happens, we should consider this situation "pending but hopefully with a mutually acceptable resolution imminent”. J

sincerly, 

BJC