Government ID

Lisa752
Level 1
Aberaeron, United Kingdom

Government ID

I am a host in Wales UK and have never asked anyone for their ID as we don't have Governmant ID in this country! I just tried to book a room in Naples Italy and can't proceed as this Government ID has to be produced!! What do I do??

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

No passports or driver's licence, @Lisa752? What a country! 

Seriously, though, my government ID is passport and driver's licence. Surely there is something similar in Wales? 

Lisa752
Level 1

Hi Lawrene, Yes, I do have passport and driving licence and now know that I can use them on Airbnb! In Italy they have actual ID cards which we don't have, and I have not been asked for ID when booking in this country. Hence the ignorance! I am an Airbnb host myself and don't ask for ID. Maybe I should. 

Best Wishes,

Lisa

Just follow the prompts, @Lisa752, on your profile to complete your verification. Then you'll be good to go anywhere. The confusion is certainly understandable. Government ID means different things in different places.

I wouldn't change what you are asking your guests for. I'm like you, keeping the barriers low. I do it for two reasons. The first is that most of my guests are new to Airbnb, and if I set my requirements high, they would not be able to find me. The second is that I see in this forum cries from hosts who say they do require government ID, and that somehow those without it slip through the cracks and are still allowed to book. It seems a system in flux. So far evildoers have given me a miss, but I do understand why hosts in international hotspots require ID and then check it carefully upon guest arrival. We all do what we need to feel/be secure. 

All the best with your upcoming trip. And what a lovely place you have - love that front door!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa752

Your profile does not have the green verified badge.  You would need to provide more documentation as most hosts (maybe even yourself) require guests to be fully verified.  If your country does not have an official government ID, the only fully valid ID is your passport.  But I think you might get away with your driving licence.  

And you would need your ID to travel to Italy anyway I suppose ?

Lisa752
Level 1

Hello Marit,

I must find out why I don't have green verified badge! Thank you for letting me know. 

Lisa

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa752

In Italy it is required that airbnb hosts take your ID and fill in the register, just like hotels.