Change to Instant Booking Parameters

Kevin-and-Tamara0
Level 3
Washington, DC

Change to Instant Booking Parameters

This week, I discovered AirBnB made changes to how reviews/recommendations are linked to guest profiles, which has a significant impact on the guests who are now considered to meet the "previous recommendations" requirement setting.  Now, reviews for guests who booked a group reservation now apply to ALL guests who were included in that reservation.  I've received several instant bookings from guests whose profile show 0 reviews but have linked reviews for someone else's account once you click on their expanded profile.  This is NOT ok!  Just because the primary account holder made sure the reservation went smoothly, house rules were followed, and all their guests conducted themselves properly DOES NOT mean the other guests in that reservation will do the same when booking a reservation of their own.  Not to mention this was a major change to a host-chosen governing parameter made without consulting or notifying the hosts!  It essentially removes a crucial facet of control away from hosts and in the current social environment, that is a scary thing.

Jenna Pool
28 Replies 28
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kevin-and-Tamara0 Does it not also work the other way around - A bad review will follow all guests in a group not just the one that booked the property?

Kevin-and-Tamara0
Level 3
Washington, DC

I’m not sure since Airbnb didn’t notify hosts about the change or provide any explanation/details but great point!  Yet another reason we’re not cool with this change. 

Jenna Pool
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kevin-and-Tamara0  That's alarming!  I felt that recommendations from other hosts was the strongest protection I had - certainly stronger than a government ID.  @Mike-And-Jane0's point that bad reviews will follow everyone in a group is at least a balancing factor.

But, looking on the bright side, if the guest was part of a well-behaved group, that might possibly bode well?  LOL who knows.

Kevin-and-Tamara0
Level 3
Washington, DC

Like a sign from the universe, the very first guest who was able to instant book based on a review from a group reservation she was a part of but not the primary account for was an issue and violated our house rules in a big way.  Even after reiterating our house rules of no parties/events/gatherings, no additional guests beyond those in the original reservation, etc... and requiring her to reconfirm she agreed to them before sending the checkin information and lockbox codes, we had to break up the house party she was throwing.

FRUSTRATING

Jenna Pool
Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

this is truly nonsense.  i'm both glad and sad that i read this!

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Qte0
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

I completely understand where this host is coming from. It makes a lot of sense but some hosts blatantly say that they won't host a guess because of no reviews. This has became a problem. 

However, for the majority of the guests that are new and have no reviews, Airbnb definitely needs to work on ways guests are not discriminated against because of them not having a review. Not all new guests are disrespectful. Airbnb should stop advertising their hosts if they are going to continue to allows for some to discriminate against the guests (or excluded) because of no review. This has became a big problem for Airbnb. 

@Qte0  

"but some hosts blatantly say that they won't host a guess because of no reviews. "

I'm curious what is your issue with this?

People have assets including property, structures, belongings they are trying to protect.  I'm trying to understand how a person gets around this by allowing strangers into their home without vetting.  Granted, users have to start somewhere but we're talking 6+ figure assets here.

Guests who communicate properly can easily get this easily addressed.  Many do not.  That's a related but whole other problem in and of itself.  Communicators can work past the lack of reviews but for me, not for my whole place listing.  Liability and risk mitigation is super serious business.

You would let new users rent a whole place, even ones who are sub-par communicators?

Discrimination is for Title VII and Civil Rights Act violations, otherwise its not discrimination, its just discerning

~~~~~~~

@Sammy35 @  Excluding a person because of no reviews and making an assumption about them without communicating definitely can lead to discrimination. My apologies if I wasn't clear on that. Also, as a black women who experiences discrimination and practices leading up to discrimination, it's not discerning, it's wrong and it shouldn't have a place anywhere in society

In reference to assets or 6 figures, with all due respect, I don't care if you have an apartment, I respect people's homes regardless of how much money they spend. And keep in mind, we guests also take a risk and spend money too. 

And to answer your question about hosting, I wouldn't host at all. However, I do know when you sign up for a job, you take risk.  And that's for all hosts. However, I can only speak for myself and like I said, I respect all homes because I respect the time and energy a host put in their homes.

Communication goes a long way. I think it's only fair for hosts to say that they will not host anyone who doesn't have reviews. That way, for those who read before booking, will simply look elsewhere. 

And many guests who do communicate properly do not get a response. I know that  first hand.

I take constructive criticism extremely well. However, as a guests, I have a right to give it. Hopefully, guests and hosts will one day meet in the middle when it comes to this matter because it's a problem on both sides.

Make it a great day.

So having worked in HR and employment law for 25 years as both an internal partner and external  consultant, and two gender disparate other discrimination retaliation suits under my own belt I hear what you are saying.

And with all due respect, I don't agree with your position on reviews.  When I hear someone say they don't care about someone's assets (because that's irrelevant) its the exact kind of red flag hosts fear--because it is needs to fall on the trust or hope of the host that ANYONE in their home should care about respecting anyone else's assets.  And to assume that a host presupposes that YOU SPECIFICALLY do not know how to act isn't fair but its your right to feel that way and so be it.

No reviews are just that, no reviews.  They don't automatically lead to assumptions.  Assuming they do across the board is no more or less fair.  And shouldn't lead to assumptions of race.  I'm sure as many non PoC if not more get turned away for no reviews as PoC--when a host looks at a blank profile, missing contact details, or worse, lack of ID, couple with an "I need a room?  Available?" message is the begining of the downward spiral the host has to try to untangle and deescalate.  Most of my private room shared space listing bookings have been PoC AND new user, though I can't say the same for whole home listing because the communication for whatever reason doesn't reach a booking. 

Saying that no reviews are discriminatory it and of itself while it may seem understandable, isn't logically reasoned A+B doesn't equal C.  And for ME, personally there are no assumptions.  There are just no "facts" as reported by previous host or reviews guest has left for host.  No data isn't assumptions, in fact its just is what it is--no data.

And also as for me personally,   I'm much less concerned about private room shared space, YET still do the appropriate vetting via messaging too to ensure match--needs, amenities, interpersonal style, checkin time, rules, age etc.  My whole home listing states right up from NO BOOKINGS for NO REVIEWS in the appropriate way shape and form.  And its overlooked 99% of the time.  And I still get tons of booking requests, preferably inquiries, because declination ding host performance and search results--hosts are punished for people who don't or won't read.  

And that sucks but its opportunity cost and a necessary dealing with as part of doing business.   So a host reiterates listing details and in my case, I offer up private room(s) shared space host onsight.  Its up to the guest to decide if that's a viable option.  If not, its either onto another listing that without excellent or even ample, suitable or prompt, timely, responsive communication skills, much less reading, therein the problem recreates itself, or a hotel.

Is super annoying because (especially new user) guests don't read which is nothing enforceable by the host and someone airbnb isn't interested in making functional--because the goal is revenue at any cost or expense.  And then guests get angry or annoyed because they tried to do something the listing said very clearly please don't do.  Anyone who doesn't have reviews is welcome to stop back or book the private room shared space listing.

You are an exception and far from the "rule" but just not the common new user (in my personal experience).  Maybe you'd have to be a host to see--which is something you stated you are clearly not interested in, which means you're also not in our shoes either.

Its usually the new user "entitled" (potential) guest being uncommunicative or unresponsive btw, not the hosts, unless its hosts doing money grabs and illegal hostel type listings.  The forum here will attest to that.  And those hosts are written up, I see it all the time, and people still keep booking, which I don't really understand.  Maybe it comes down to money most of the time.  And people make sacrifices to spend or they would be booking $500+ hotel rooms in NYC.

People have to start somewhere, but without a proper vetting tool, and airbnb's "VERIFIED" badge is rubbish as we all know, but at least its something, though likely more of an airbnb disclaimer CYA than anything.  And then when I potential guest doesn't communicate properly, yet expects or feels entitled to be approved, it simply clinches the declination.

Systemic Institutional discrimination is an epidemic of its own.  And discrimination isn't always direct, its also indirect.  And so given what happened with the host who you indicate suggested you change your name, its too personal for you to be objective, I get that.  Or at least the way you speak above seems to be taking it personally. because it WAS personal.  But concluding discerning is discrimination, legally or otherwise (perceived) is just blatant assumptions on the part of anyone assuming vetting a guest for a whole home listing isn't necessary isn't being fare or reasonable. 

~~~~~~~

By the way you're talking to a more guest visitor than host.  I'm very well aware that guests spend money and task risk, I've assumed that risk many times.  Luckily 60 some stays is minor.  We hosts who are also guests know exactly what risk you speak of

~~~~~~~

Hi @Qte0   I see you are new to Air BNB, at least you have no reviews.  Please understand that each host needs to match guests to their listing and some hosts find it helpful if the guest has a positivie experience/review with the Air BNB platform.  Since Instant Booking, IB, allows guest to book a reservation without contacting the host first, the host does not have a chance to establish a rapport with the guest prior booking.  I point this out, because should there be a mismatch between guest expectations and the host listing and this is not determined in a timely way, the guest could find out too late to be refunded the Air BNB fees.  

Anyway, many, many hosts actually enjoy guests who are new to the platform.  I am one of those hosts.  I do however have many occassions in which I was able to determine that the guest misunderstood the listing.  Fortunately it was when the guest could cancel without penalty.  

As a new guest, it would be in your favor to approach a host with some information about yourself and the reason for wanting to book.  Granted, you could just book a hotel, which is more anoymous, but if you choose to go into someone's home, it is a nice way to get the biggest bang for your buck.  

@Linda108 First and foremost, thank you so much for your kind response. 

I actually just started using Airbnb. I signed up last year and I used it once. Didn't know the importance of writing a review until recently. 

One thing about me, when I do an instant booking, I send a long email describing myself and telling them where I work. Basically, I give them my entire life story. I had one incident where a host still declined me. He later came back and said I needed to change my name. I don't need to tell you how that played out. I definitely reported it and it lead to discrimination.

I understand where hosts are coming from though. We are talking about their homes and I know most of you work hard at making these homes comfortable for guests. As a community college worker, I read everything before sending a request. Even when it's not instant booking, I still send a long introduction about myself.

I was able to book a wonderful booking from a woman in Ireland. I'm going there in March. She really made my day when she accepted me and I already have gift for her.

It's a problem for hosts and new guests. For me, this is my second booking and I didn't know much about the importance of leaving a review. Hosts should also know that not all new guests know the importance of leaving a review and to assume that we do is wrong. Maybe Airbnb needs to do a better job about communicating that to us. Also, they should make it known that we may get many declines due to not having reviews. Yet, if they are going to continue to advertise to guests, they better come up with ways that both sides can have a fair chance at enjoying Airbnb. 

Qte 

@Linda108 Ms. Linda, you are right! Some Airbnbs are better in reference to getting your moneys worth. For me, I love people. When I read reviews about how hosts invite their guests to breakfast or take the time out to bake goodies for them, it makes me feel bubbly inside. It's a beautiful thing to see the positive side of people from different walks of life, cities, countries, and culture. When both sides treat each other fairly, you really see the uniqueness of Airbnb. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Qte0 

I understand your points and I also understand your frustrations not being able to book places due to not having reviews. However, you are basing these views also on the type of guest you are, e.g. one who has uploaded a profile photo, info, Govt ID etc. and sends a nice introductory message to the host.

Unfortunately, many, many guests do none of this and that, in my experience, is especially true of first time users. Often, they simply don't realise that these things can be important to a host who is opening up their home to a stranger. Sure, all hosts are taking risks by Airbnbing their properties, but I don't think you can fault them for trying to minimise those risks where they can and, signing up a host does not mean we have to relinquish all control of our homes!

So, I have no problem hosting first time users. I have hosted hundreds of them. Most have been great. Like others have said, I will base my decision more on the communication I have with the guest and it is important to have this communication to avoid misunderstandings, especially because unfortunately a lot of guests simply do not read the listing properly.

Still, I have every single box ticked on the Instant Booking restrictions, including that the guest must have a previous review. That doesn't mean I won't accept that first time user, but they must contact me first and can't simply go ahead and book with zero communication. This has saved me from a lot of headaches, believe me, and I am sure has saved some guests from booking my place when it wasn't suitable for them. Right now I have an on-going enquiry with a first time guest who has no idea how Airbnb works, especially in terms of payments, refunds etc. I'm glad that I can answer all these questions BEFORE she books so there are no misunderstandings down the line.

Just because a host is careful (and really most of us should probably be MORE careful than less), that doesn't mean they will be less welcoming to their guests or a bad host. I agree though that I would never turn away a guest just because they have no reviews. It just means I probably need to ask them more questions.

PS Just because you don't leave a review for a host, that does not mean they can't leave one for you, although leaving one yourself could certainly encourage them to do the same.