Check-in Start Time keeps defaulting to FLEXIBLE...WHY??

Answered!
Greg1402
Level 3
Nacogdoches, TX

Check-in Start Time keeps defaulting to FLEXIBLE...WHY??

Hi AirBnB Community,

This is my first post as we are two months into being new hosts. Certainly learning along the way but have had mostly positive experiences. 

My question however is a strange issue I'm having with Check-in Start Time that keeps defaulting to Flexible. This in under Booking Settings/Policies/Check-In Start Time. I have set it multiple times to 3pm. The problem just recently started (June 2020) when a guest requested check-in time 10-noon. Had I not noticed this on their Instant Book it would have been a major problem with guests previous stay not leaving till 11am. 

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same and found solutions? For now I have simply stated in House Rules under Additional Rules...Check-in is 3 pm or anytime after. (If AirBnB app offers earlier option, DO NOT BELIEVE IT. We use the full 4 hours between guests to clean and prep.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and or suggestions.

Greg

1 Best Answer
Greg1402
Level 3
Nacogdoches, TX

I THINK I may have discovered when this setting is defaulting back to NONE. Regardless it shouldn't happen but it happened again this morning.

If you make ANY changes to Booking Settings, such as update Rules, update guest requirements, etc...I think this is when my account listing Check-in Time defaults back to flexible.

Next time you make a change on Booking Settings, check your Check-In Time. Maybe we can confirm this bug. 

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24

@Lizzie  Good question. It happens from both google and firefox.

@Lizzie  Also, I've just tried (again) altering other listing details from within 'booking settings', but it appears it's only changing 'house rules' that triggers the problem.

Kat162
Level 7
Nova Scotia, Canada

@LizzieSame here Lizzie! I've changed a few listing details and 4pm check-in is sticking in place. Fingers crossed!! Thanks for your help!

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

This happened to me as well. 

This happened to us as well. Airbnb please fix this bug, it could have terrible implications for the guest experience.

Alison564
Level 5
The Pas, Canada

Hi @Greg1402, we have discovered this happening to us also when a guest instant booked our Suite at 9:30 am for the next day checking in  between 9-11 p.m. He then cancelled the same day at day at 8:30 pm and I thought he would have to pay the first night for as he didn’t cancel before the 24 hrs. I previously had the check in time at 3 pm on my settings for my listing but strangely it was blank when I went to my settings. Somehow reverted back to original settings. So the guest was able to put his own check in time in and when canceled it went according to his check in time.
I have the flexible cancellation policy but may consider changing it after this. But then it is nice to offer that flexibility to your guests. 
I also copied this from Airbnb on the flexible policy “listing's local check-in time (3:00pm if not specified).” which appears to go automatically with 3 pm if not specified. 

I messaged Airbnb support about this but they were no help and didn’t seem to understand the system may be reverting back. I thought maybe I have had problems lately with the app due to poor wifi but I’m thinking the app has too many bugs and with COVID-19 there hasn’t been much help from Airbnb support or any technical upkeep with the app itself. Not sure we should be paying the full fees we do when we are receiving limited support. 

Hi @Lizzie  I have had this happen also, if you can read above please. I know this thread is a month or so old now but hopefully  some answers. I don’t think it’s right that the guest chooses their check in time. And whether or not they get a refund when canceling should be according to my check in time not theirs. Thank you, Alison 

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

@Lizzie Thank you for reporting to the tech team! I remember having the exact same issue twice in my ~3 years hosting history. The most recent one happened just at the beginning of this pandemic -- around March or April. I actually didn't touch the settings and all of a sudden I have received discrepancy complaints from guests saying my check in time shows flexible while my welcome message shows after 4pm. I checked my listings and the check in time of ALL my 16 listings went to flexible. Not sure why but it happened once before around 2018-2019 I remember.

Still happening with all my listing. defaulting to flexible when I edit anything in the details. 

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

According to Airbnb's instructions I should be able to change the preset shown of "flexible" to a time that I indicate in the box  "CHECK IN START AND CHECK IN END TIMES".  It simply will not allow me do anything.    I indicated to Airbnb that these instructions do not work, but haven't heard back.  This is extremely frustrating and I'm not sure where to turn. This is not right.  Thank you, 

These are the instructions I followed:

To edit your check-in time:

1. Go to Your listings on airbnb.com.
  2. On the listing you want to edit, click Manage listing
  3. Click Booking settings at the top of the page
  4. Next to Policies, click Edit.
  5. Select your check-in start and end times. You can also add a checkout time.
  6. Click Save.

Note: The check-in section only appears as an option after you complete the required steps and list your space.