Day 20 - Saying it with Botanicals

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Day 20 - Saying it with Botanicals

1.jpg

Saying it with Botanicals / Flowers

When one goes out walking or in one's Garden one has Flowers, take some time to observe how they grow in different formations.

We spotted this one that reminds us of a Christmas Tree ( @Nick would you please turn it around the correct way? Thanks)

Do you have any that remind you of Christmas , e.g Animals, Stars, Nativity etc?

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas and all the Best for 2021.

May we all plant more Botanicals in our locations as they are equally as important to our lives as Trees for our Health.

@Nick @Stephanie 

19 Replies 19
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely post @Helen427 !

Growing up for me, we always had a poinsettia at Christmas. The beautiful combination of red and green just delivers the Christmassy colours nicely. 

I was so heartbroken in the spring when I put him outside and he swiftly wilted. I didn't know they had to be in the toasty warm of Mexico! 

How is your garden getting on? How is Zara?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thank you @Stephanie @J-Renato0 and @every-one else

Those beautiful Poinsettia's also grace many a Christmas Tree as decorations - I used to work in a shop that once exclusively set up to trade in Christmas themed products.

Many a glass on Mulled Wine and other treats were enjoyed there to.., and as a result we have a well decorated Christmas Tree with a range of colour and other themes in our home ..not yet this Christmas though which is unusual.

Zara is ok but getting older now, so a little slower.

As for the garden, you won't believe this, we heard a rustling sound outside last evening and went to investigate, only to see 1, then 2, then Wow this is amazing, 3 well grown Hedgehogs tucked away all snuggling up together! -That's Amore and an  'Array' of hedgehogs.

I've never seen 3 before in the one place and apparently it's quite unusual.

They were not there this morning however I'm sure they will be back as from time to time we have heard rustling outside in the garden, had a look assuming it was either a bird or cat only to peep out for a look to not see any sign of life,  in hindsight it must have been a hedgehog or 2.

By the way in New Zealand, Department of Conservation consider Hedgehogs a 'Pest species' like they do with so many of our Natural wonder species, unlike in the UK, France, Switzerland and other countries where they are protected.

A shameful side of our country that needs to be addressed for the betterment of Animal and Botanical and Tree species.

@Dale711 @Mary996 @Huma0 @Lizzie @Nick @Francesca @Sergi @Anna @Stephanie1933 @Max144 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wonderful news about your three hedgehogs @Helen427. May they be safe for their onward journey

Absolutely beautiful @Helen427 

The cinnamons, star anise and cloves, these spices are Christmassy for me. The scent and flavor of over the years, it simply wouldn’t be quite as merry without.

“ The lucky stars”  Wishing everyone a joyous, colorful, and love-filled Christmas.May the spirit of this lovely season make all your wishes come to life!“ The lucky stars” Wishing everyone a joyous, colorful, and love-filled Christmas.May the spirit of this lovely season make all your wishes come to life! 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Dale711  and Dan, Happy Christmas to you ! 🙂

Silly me, I always thought they were called "plants."

@Anonymous  They are. "Botanicals" means substances derived from plants.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's a weird one because different dictionaries have different prevailing descriptors. Our Collin's dictionary has it as "anything to do with plants" whereas the Cambridge dictionary is as you describe it @Sarah977 , substance or part derived from plants for medicine or drinks.

Either or, not sure it's worth arguing the toss 😉

We all know it means plants 🌿🌱🌿🪴

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I believe that one can definitely say: "I love seeing botanicals in any botanical garden or in the woods, or in my garden !
There we can see a wide range of plants !"

In the Cambridge dictionary, the first meaning listing goes like that:
"Botanical = synonyme for botanic in UK "
Therefore, in Australia and New Zeland, must be the same as well.

@Helen427   Great writing style  🙂

I would say, also instructive on the english usage of the language 🙂

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I also AGREE with @Helen427 @Stephanie

@J-Renato0

but am loathe to declare anyone to be RIGHT.

Semantics there. So important!!

xxxxxxxx

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen427 

Beautiful picture! It really reminds us of a Christmas Tree !

Have a wonderful Christmas and all the Best for 2021. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Happy Christmas to you @J-Renato0 and everyone x 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello Mary996

The same to you !!!

Cheers !!@ 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have a few Schlumbergeras - AKA Christmas Cactus - in my house. I guess they are just called that because they flower in the winter as I can't see anything remotely festive about them!

xmas-cactus110.jpg

I love Paperwhites and have tried to force them, and other bulbs, to flower in the winter, but haven't had much success, except with Hyacinths. Again, nothing that Christmassy about any of those, but it's nice to have some flowering plants inside on these dark and gloomy days.

Can anyone tell me how to get an Amaryllis to flower again? I bought one that continues to sprout green leaves every year, but has never flowered since the first Christmas when I bought it.