Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

Sara292
Level 1
Lethbridge, Canada

Do hosts have the right to enter a guests room without permission?

I have a guest who leaves lights on or the fireplace on when leaving, it is in our house rule to turn these items off before leaving the home. Do I have a right to go in and turn them off?

159 Replies 159

@Lilian20 you can do the damage control during the checkout. It is not right to enter the place without consent from the guest. My wife and I do medium term rentals (several months) on Airbnb, how would you like if someone enters your home without your consent? You would call the police, right? That's how it feels for a guest when the host enters without prior notice.

@Florent79  I don't enter my guest's space either during their stay unless they want me to for some reason (one guest asked if I could remove a spider she saw on the ceiling) or it's necessary (another guest had gone out and eft the windows of her room open and it started to rain-I closed them so she wouldn't come home to a wet bed).

And I agree that most guests would be upset to know their space had been entered when they were out. But not all. One guest who I mentioned to that I never enter the guest space except for the above type scenarios said "Hey, it's your home, don't think twice about going in there if you need to for any reason."

That's exactly how I feel... do some damage control. For almost 3-yeas as a Super Host, when I greet my guests I show them where everything is located in the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen (i.e. bath towels, bath wash, shampoo, etc, USB ports, wifi password, fridge, microwave, cup, dishes, etc. etc.). Then I ask them if they've had a change to read/review my house rules, and if they haven't I have a printed laminated copy in the room; and I tell them if they have any questions or concerns to let me know. I also let them know to remember to please turn lights and fan off and not to leave any devices charging/plugged in when they leave the house. In addition, I let them know that before I leave the house as a precautionary measure, I do a quick check in the room to make all lights, electronics and appliances are off (I.e. iron, curling iron, etc.) due to a fire hazard.  I've never touched/moved their belongings; I'm in and out in a matter of seconds.

Well, today I was reprimanded by Airbnb and basically told I don't have the right to enter the room unless its an emergency and even then I should "get permission" prior to entering. I was taken aback because if I'm willing to welcome a total stranger into my home and trust them, the guest should extend the same courtesy. I explained to her that I ALWAYS let my guests know the 1st night of their stay and I've never had a guest say no. Until recently, a lady stayed in my home for 5 nights and the 2nd day I went in the room to make sure not was connected or let on and notice a soaking wet bath towel hung over the door of my antique mahogany wardrobe (115 years old) ... even though there are 8 wall and over-the-door hooks. When I brought this to the guests attention she was upset and angry that I went in the room — even thought the night before I had told her that I always do these prior to leaving the house for work, run errands, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback ... hopefully, it'll help me see and understand a different prospective. If I'm renting a room in someone's home I don't mind at all if the owner goes it as long as he/she does touch or move any of my belongings. 

@Ruth290 As an in-home host myself, I do understand where you're coming from, and one of my guests, when I mentioned that I wouldn't go in the guest space except for an emergency situation, told me that I should have every right to- that it's my home. But I don't think most guests feel like that- they want to feel their space is private for the duration of their stay, unless you specifically mention in the ad that you go in once a week to clean or something. 

The only time I've gone in the guest room was once when the guest was out and it started raining heavily- I saw she had left the windows open and didn't want her to come back to a wet bed. But I texted her to tell her I was going to do that, and she thanked me.

It's wise to furnish your Airbnb space with things that are hard to destroy and inexpensive to replace- I wouldn't have an antique mahogany wardrobe in the guest room, for instance, because some guests just aren't concious of how their actions can ruin things.

As far as leaving lights on, etc, that's just something we have to account for in our pricing, and for things like a curling iron left plugged in that could cause a fire, hopefully you have smoke alarms, and I'd try to impress on guests what a hazard that could be.

@Ruth290 @For whatever it’s worth, this is a battle you’re probably going to loose if you attempt to fight it. The only way I ‘won’ was because at the time, the Terms allowed me to file for Arbitration at Airbnb’s expense, and threatening to do so was more expensive to Airbnb than refunding my $180. That option was quickly removed from the Terms afterward. 

I’ve given up on Airbnb. When I started on the platform in 2015(?), I had 13 great short and long term guests. I felt on top of the world, with my spare room rented 80% of the year. Good money came in and it really made me happy.

But over the next two years, the market became saturated. Airbnb advertising increased. New hosts popped up everywhere. Prices had to stay low and the quality of guests dropped very quickly.  I occasionally got great guests, but the ratio of bad to good skyrocketed.  it seems like 20% of the new guests are horrible and vindictive. They want a cheap room and they don’t care about following house rules or caring for the Host’s property. It’s just a cheap rental for them. They save a few bucks and leave the place trashed or leave bad reviews that are undeserved and a permanent red flag to future guests. 

Those bad guests really opened my eyes to how poor Airbnb customer service is, how vague their ‘standards’ are, and the key clause in their Terms of Service that essentially gives Airbnb the right to define or interpret their rules without them being in writing. 

Personally, I chose to jump ship. It wasn’t worth the extra stress and since Airbnb consistently weasels their way out of liability, I no longer want that risk. 

Maybe you’ll drink the Kool-Aid like many other seasoned hosts and turn a blind eye to the broken Airbnb system. Maybe you’ll enjoy Airbnb and make some good money and be problem-free for the most part. 

But if you don’t drink the Kool-Aid and start having more troubles, don’t be surprised when other hosts on this platform don’t give you the warm fuzzies. They’ll quickly call you out as a bad host. They’ll shun you and tell you that you’re ‘doing it wrong’. Or you’re ‘unfit to host’. 

It’s been a little more than a year since my last guest.

Do I miss the added income? Yes. For sure.

Do I miss the calls to Airbnb waiting on hold, only to talk to a case manager that works off their interpretation of the rules - which varies greatly and usually includes unwritten rules not in the Terms of Service?  Not one iota. 

I think you should check with your state laws concerning short-term rentals.  In my state, the law is that you do not need prior approval to enter the guests space.  Guests need to realize that staying in a short term rental is the same as staying in a hotel, where the maid or management may access your room at any time, paying attention to your privacy when you are in the room.  Most people expect this and do not leave any valuables in the room when they stay in a hotel.  I think that the customer service people who give out this information on behalf of Airbnb are wrong.  Airbnb still has to abide by the state laws where they operate.

I agree with you Ruth. I  go into the guests' room to collect dirty cups to wash and replace and empty their bin and put a fresh bottle of water. See it as part of the caring for the guest thing. I am in and out of there in seconds. As you say as long as you don't touch any of the guest's possessions, surely looking after your home and the guest makes entering the room OK.

The problem is that you can't see who is a good person/not. You can't tell if your things were moved and then put back, if something was taken .h...are you going to prove it? How am I going to prove something was taken when I come back and my cash is gone, the host was in there but claims they didn't take anything? 

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

In some jurisdictions, the renter has legal possession of the property during the time they are renting it, and the owner cannot enter the property without the renter's permission, because the renter has legal possession. When it's just a room in a house, though it's not as clear-cut as that. I would check with your local laws on this. You may have to go to your city hall or library and do some research.

If you're worried about the electric bill, install LED light bulbs. Your bill will be significantly lower and you won't need to worry about the bill so much. For the fireplace, maybe you can install a timer device that automatically shuts it off after a certain time period.

Tony168
Level 3
Sheffield, United Kingdom

I just had a bad situation with this mistake. I came home at around 8 pm and the house door was locked, so I assumed he was out. The light was out in the room as well. We were having trouble finding the cats, and after looking everywhere else I was worried they could be stuck in the room. My husband knocked on the door just to make sure and no answer, so he discretely looked it to see if the cat was there, and he came startled and angry to the door. He had been napping and was extremely angry that this was a personal invasion. We were embarrassed, and try to explain our mistake but to no avail. He merely closed himself in the room and wouldn't talk to us. I thought it was just grumpiness of having his sleep disturbed and in the morning he would understand, but in the morning he mentioned it again, and how horrible it was. Again we tried to again explain that it was an honest mistake. We even offered him a refund. He just stormed off, and btw left the room in not too good a condition. When got our review complained about it as well as lying that the place was horribly dirty and that the bathroom smelled of urine. If the bathroom smelled of urine, why did he spend so much time in it?

Tony168
Level 3
Sheffield, United Kingdom

They do go in you room in hotels, btw. They go in to clean. I have had hotel staff accidentally try to come in the room when we didn't put up the do no disturb sign, and I would have never thought of making a scene about it. Our situation was exactly comparable. I would assume that for a room in your house there would be at times unavoidable situations where you need to get into the room and that there would be some understanding on the matter.

My first and last question is, "How important is it?"

Many of my guests leave doors open, or the locks still in the handles. In other words, they're pretty laid back.

I generally stay well away from their rooms, unless I have something necessary to the maintenance of the room (i.e. smoke detectors, etc.) in which case I discuss it in advance prior to entering.

If someone leaves the lights on, all my bulbs are low wattage LED's. Not the end of the planet. I might remind them gently at some point - hey, people forget, including me. I don't get knotted about untidiness in their rooms, because I do the same thing when I travel. 

However leaving the bathroom door closed after a shower can result in mold or mildew. Dirtiness, smelliness, exposed food, and/or lack of respect for myself and/or others, or some all round bad habits can disrupt me and the harmony in this home.

And on that note I remind myself.....

...that courtesy and respect go both ways.

...that my prices are a good value.

...that while I may get a bad review, I also have equity on AIrbnb. And I am equally capable of stating the facts in my review and rating accordingly.

...That I can, will, and do evict. I'm very effective, and very, very fast. At under $30 a night most times, my exposure is negligible. I run my own business in my own home, and I don't don't lose a minute of sleep worrying about losers.

Namaste.

@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0

We need more comment likes yours on this forum, I admire your frankness...

I think you “interrupted” him......