Failing Security Deposit Policy

Answered!
Tammy416
Level 4
Lakewood, NY

Failing Security Deposit Policy

I am so frustrated with Airbnb security deposit policy.  So I have had damages to my property and missing items, but I have no method to collect the $200 security deposit or even a portion of it, without waiting 72-hours for the guest to respond and then some power to be to decide if I get paid!  Why do I require a security deposit if I can’t really collect it???  I called to request payment from the security deposit and no one is available to talk about disbursing the funds or even how to access the funds.  I was told someone would contact me twice, almost 24-hours later no response!!!  AirBnb needs to fix this policy, I should be able to immediately collect on the security deposit within the first 48-hours and if the guest has an issue they should be the ones who have to file the claim....not the host!!!  Also, AirBnb should have a legitimate department, where you can talk to any actual person who cares about your loss!!!

1 Best Answer

I am going to explore other alternate hosting sites to AirBnb in hopes they have better hosting support and actually honor my required security deposit policy.  Making it possible and easy to collect on the security deposit, when there is an issue. Tammy 

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tammy416 Airbnb do not collect the security deposit so there is no hope that you will be able to. They do not even put a hold on a guests card for the amount of the deposit!

Whilst this element of Airbnb is stupid I do think it is right that hosts cannot just claim for damage without some sort of proof that they deserve to be paid.

Hence the need for Airbnb to change their Security Deposit policy!  If a host chooses to have a set dollar security deposit, there should be a hold put on the guests credit card for 48-hours after checkout and the Host should be able to collect on that security deposit within the 48-hours by filing a claim that is actually immediately processed, not ignored for days by some phantom department.  If no claim is filed by the Host within the 48-hours, then the guests security deposit hold is released.  The guest’s card would be charged prior to the hold release if the claim is valid and the Guest would have an additional 48-hours to dispute the claim before the actual funds are released to the Host. This process would secure payment to the host and give the Host the benefit of the doubt, not the Guest, because lets be honest, the guest who damage your property, leaved it filthy or removed items from the property aren’t the most trustworthy people and shouldn’t be allocated the benefit of doubt!  

Try contacting the guest and make sure they are aware that if you have not collected the security deposit they will not be allowed to stay and don't let them in if they don't pay.

Airbnb will de-list you if they find out you do this.

Do you think there are ton of hosts extorting money from guests for nonexistent theft or damage? That's nuts.

Cheryl497
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

EXACTLY!  I have just recently discovered what a joke this Airbnb Host protection is.  I have had two damage claims.  Uploaded pics and damage repair estimates.  AIRBNB NEVER REPLIED TO EITHER CLAIM!

Like TOTALLY ignored it even though I called about both instances and spoke extensively to their customer service and followed their explicit instructions on how to submit the claims.  The Host deposit is a TOTAL game of smoke and mirrors!  As a host I can put an amount as to what my DEPOSIT is- but it does me no good unless I collect it UPFRONT!  AirBnb only puts an automatic deposit amount "hold" on their bank or card funds IF the deposit is an AIRBNB REQUIRED DEPOSIT- NOT if it is a Host Required Deposit. I am beside myself because obviously it will deter some guests.  But I DO require a valid current government ID w photo on it for each adult guest.  Every time, PRIOR to Check in- i have lost a few potential guests because of it.  But if you stay in a hotel, they require the same. If they don't want to give me their ID- then I didn't need them as a guest anyway.  That's just about good common sense in doing business on my personal property.  But this deposit thing- I'm probably going to draw up a form for them to sign and learn how to put a "hold" on funds myself.

💯 so sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issue.  I had a $140 goose down pillow stolen and the guest of course denies the claim and I get a message that the claim may be eligible under their insurance policy.  What a joke this is!!!  I require a $200 security deposit on my listing and I can’t even collect on it????  Unbelievable!!!!  AirBnb is promoting an ok to theft policy....because there are zero financial or criminal consequences for anyone who does!!!!

I am going to explore other alternate hosting sites to AirBnb in hopes they have better hosting support and actually honor my required security deposit policy.  Making it possible and easy to collect on the security deposit, when there is an issue. Tammy 

Security deposits no longer exist 1 May 2022.

= That means there is 0 amount of AVAILABILITY on a card or payment method there is 0 money charged for damages?

And also, if on a card they do a charge back? (which other companies will not allow and will fight for you if it occurs). 

@Sharon1428 
And yet under section 5.3 of the Terms of Service, AirBNB doesn't direct or control your host service, you have complete discretion whether and when to provide host services and on what terms.  My terms will require a security deposit. If I have to call it something else, fine. But I'm not going to rely on AirBNB to have my back.

Stephanie365_0-1654711360963.png

In my case, I kept getting email sent to me with links to articles on Airbnb's help site which really pissed me off, I just needed someone who could communicate with me in English that would actually help me. I did send this little paragraph to one of the people and asking them if they informed my guest that they were going to charge her for all the biohazard damage. Big surprise but no one has responded to that. Here it is:                 Hosts aren’t allowed to charge guests a security deposit through our Resolution Center or outside the Airbnb platform. Instead, we inform guests at the time of booking that their payment method may be charged if they cause damage during a stay.

Hi Tammy,

I just added my recent/current experience as a host trying to get reimbursement for some severe guest damage. I agree with everything you said!!!!! If anyone finds another vacation rental service that supports its hosts and allows a security deposit, please share that info. I've lost the bonhomie I had for Airbnb with this experience. It sucks!!!

@Tammy416  I see you have a quite nice listing, but it really isn't wise to furnish a short term rental with things like $140 goose down pillows. You can find decent feather and down pillows somewhere like Ikea for a fraction of that cost. 

Even if a guest wrecked or made off with something and offered to pay for it, they are going to be outraged at being asked to pay $140 for a pillow.

Our guests rave about our bedding and we are booked almost every weekend.  We all have different approaches to making our property special and unique.  I shouldn’t have to make everything in the house disposable to guard against the one guest out of 50 who decide they need to steal from me...they should be held financially responsible for their actions!  As far as I know, it is still illegal to steal and the guest should be financially responsible for their actions, especially because I require a $200 security deposit. There is a reason it is called a “Security Deposit” it secures you from theft and damage!!! However, AirBnb’s “Security Deposit” policy doesn’t secure the Host, it only secures the guests because they are free to steal and damage my property with no financial or criminal consequences!!!  Therefore, unless AirBnb changes their security deposit policy, I will be looking for a new hosting platform and other hosts need to know how vulnerable they are under this ridiculous policy!!!