Fake service animal

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Fake service animal

So our cleaning service caught my guest walking TWO dogs out of the unit. We have a very clear no pets policy on the listing description to keep our building allergen free. When I wrote to her asking if she brought any pets she said she had a service animal (singular). I have asked her if she has one or two dogs and no reply yet. I do have photos of her with two dogs.

I understand that the hosts can't discriminate and all we can do legally is ask (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? 

What is the purpose of asking those questions? If she doesn't have an acceptable answer (because it's not a service animal) then can we kick them out? Probably not I'm assuming. Or she's probably going to say it's really a ESA not service.

Very frustrated about the blatant deception going on here. 

3 Replies 3
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Simon144 

If it’s not a service animal you can tell them that they can either remove it or leave.

I never heard of anyone needing TWO service dogs, and I don’t believe you can be required to accommodate both of them.

If two is OK, why not four? Or 14? Or 40?

I don’t know how long this person is planning to stay, but if it’s much longer you can exercise your right to inspect the premises and if you can document any damages or excessively unsanitary conditions you can terminate their stay for those reasons.

Thanks they are definitely abusing the policy. I mean it's a f*nking 150 Sq foot studio. I feel bad for the dogs

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Simon144  how long does the guest have left on the reservation?

Hosts do have to accept service animals, and there are only a few questions they are legally allowed to ask.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

At this point you have 2 options:

Suck it up and leave an appropriate review, or

Ask ABB to re-home the guest.

If you choose to suck it up you could certainly get the guest to agree to extra cleaning for a fee. I would write a review as follows:

"So and so was friendly however brought 2 pets to our very small, no pets space. I cannot recommend her for following house rules and extra cleaning was required. She did not communicate about the presence of pets beforehand. Not a fit for any host that is not pet friendly."

(low stars, would not host again.)

If it is a service animal:

"So and so was friendly but did not communicate well and her stay required extra clean up. Not a fit for our space."

If you rehome her, I would say:

" I am calling ABB to find a listing that will be more suitable for you as we are not pet friendly. I am happy to refund any unused nights but will be charging X fee for additional cleaning. We appreciate you choosing our space and hope that you will find one that is better suited to your group. Thanks again!"

Do not mention the pics of the guest. That will be a cry of "surveillance!" in retaliation and ABB will shut your listing to investigate. Its not about you proving the guest is lying-- you know she is-- its about resolving this stay to your satisfaction.