Fees

Stephanie1888
Level 1
Canyon Lake, CA

Fees

Hello,

I am getting ready to turn a property that was a long term rental into an air bnb however I can't seem to find any definitive host fees or pricing. I read several articles that ranged anywhere between 3% and 14%. Any help on this would be greatly apprecieated. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie1888  The host service fee is 3%. The guest service fee ranges from around 12-20%. Hosts have no input into the fees.

For hosts in some places who use channel managers, there is a choice for the host to cover all the fees ( host then pays around 14% in total), so the guest doesn't see a  service fee charge in their total. In this case, of course the host has to up their nightly rate in order to cover the extra fees they are paying. 

So the guest is essentially seeing the same total as if the service fee were being charged separately to them, but psychologically some guests see this as preferable. It's just a marketing tactic.

As far as pricing,  hosts determine their pricing based on what comparable (size, number of bedrooms and guests, amenities offered, etc.) listings in your area charge, as well as figuring out what your expenses will be.

Pay zero attention  to Airbnb's "price tips". They are absurdly low and are designed only to get guests to book. Airbnb couldn't care less whether you make a penny in profit, as long as they get their service fees.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephanie1888 

I think the article mentioned below is rather clear about the different types of fees.

1. Split fee structure:

The host fee is 3% and the guests fee approx. 15-16,5% for short stays and approx 11,5% for long term stays ( 28 nights and longer)

(rates as experienced by me, but can be slightly different in other countries)

2. Host-only fee:

No fees charged to the guest, all is charged at the host: 14-16%

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857/what-are-airbnb-service-fees

Please note fees are increased by VAT, if applicable.