Florida Local Tax question

Helene391
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Florida Local Tax question

Hello. I see that AirBnB has paid the Florida state taxes on the full rental amount. I am getting ready to pay the local Volusia County tax and I want to know if I should subtract my own service fee before I calculate that 6% to the county. I know that AirBnB will begin to remit these on my behalf starting in February

Thank you in advance

4 Replies 4
Sierra11
Level 3
St. Petersburg, FL

I pay a 5%  for my Airbnb property in  Manatee County and no you don't subtract any fees beforehand (service, cleaning, etc). I would ask the county directly. 

Sierra Kluson

Keller Williams Realty St Pete

Peter2563
Level 2
Shrewsbury, MA

Hi. I'm a Newbie Host. I property in Naples. Hoping that you could lend a little assistance.

I understand that Airbnb pays the State Tax of 7%, but that I'm responsible to pay Tourist Tax of 5%. Good so far. Now, when Renters make a payment for the property, let's say $1,000, they also will pay the 12% or $120. Right?  $100 of that $120 Airbnb will pay the County. I then need to make a payment of $20 for the Tourist Tax. do I have that correct?

many thakns

Hi there @Peter2563 - Were you ever able to figure this out? We are in the same boat now! We understand AirBnB will collect the state tax in Texas,  but we are responsible for remitting local.  Did you use the default or the custom tax collection buttons? Thanks! Jennifer

Hello @Peter2563 & @Jennifer2457 . I am uncertain of Texas but have a property of my own in Florida and Airbnb collects all necessary taxes for the property except the 5% Tourist Tax. In order to add this tax to your listing you will need a Business EIN Number (you can establish for free online DO NOT PAY FOR THIS... takes 3 minutes) and Tourist Tax Number which Airbnb confuses Hosts in calling a "Accommodations Registration Tax Number" (can be supplied once you have set up you account with your local Tax office). Upon obtaining these 2 numbers you can follow instructions on Airbnb for "Add A Tax" and it should bring you to a screen like this (See Attachment). From there you plug in necessary information and submit and the Tax will be added to all future bookings. Hope this helps save you some time and frustration 🏡

Screenshot_20210714-134518_Samsung Internet.jpg