Guests lit fireworks

Guests lit fireworks

Hey all, recent guests lit fireworks off on my property. Property is in the woods, and fire danger is always a consideration. (Our whole area had to evacuate last year because of a wildfire just 5 miles down the road.) I don’t have anything explicitly in my house rules about fireworks because it just seems so obvious to me that they would be hard “no” and,  at the very least, one should ask permission. (I’m adding a “No Fireworks” rule now, since I guess it’s not as obvious as I thought). I’ll write a factual review, but how many stars should I leave when rules weren’t necessarily broken per se, but the behavior certainly isn’t five star? 

5 Replies 5
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Jennifer2682 

Definitely add "Absolutely No Fireworks".  The obvious is usually obtuse to a lot of people.  I, for example, even ask every guest if they know how to safely use a BBQ.  Some don't.

Also, what are your local bylaws about fireworks?  In our area, we are required by law to have local noise and fireworks bylaws posted visibly in the cottage.

It’s weird, I had it in my rules for years and then removed it because I thought it was overkill. We don’t have any local rules or bylaws and we’re not required to post anything. We’re in Montana and we just use common sense here.  But I’ve been in this business long enough to know better. Now, I’m just struggling with how to rate them. 

@Jennifer2682 Since they didn’t break any house rules, I would give them the same number of stars you were going to give if they had not lit fireworks. I would just add something like, “Oh my goodness, guests shot fireworks, but my fault for not having “no fireworks in the house rules.”  Hosts can read between the lines. 

I say this because I have almost 5 acres of woods and I also had airbnb guests the 4th of July. It never dawned on me about fireworks. But it will definitely be in my house rules for all the upcoming 4th of Julys.

@Jennifer2682  Star ratings are a terrible metric for human behavior; the gradient between 1 and 5 is functionally useless. But if I have to pick an arbitrary number, this one would be a 1.

Why? Because if these guests set off fireworks at an Airbnb without permission, it's a safe bet that they'll behave recklessly and foolishly everywhere else they travel - with potentially far worse consequences. You don't want to have to post a rule about every idiotic thing you can possibly imagine someone doing; you want house-trained guests with common sense. These are not those people. Let it rip.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jennifer2682  I agree with @Anonymous , lack of any common sense, intelligence and responsibility is definitely 1*

They have to learn somehow