Guests who do not post reviews

Answered!
Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Guests who do not post reviews

Hi All, I have recently joined Airbnb.   I have had two guests who verbally told me that they were very happy with my cottage and my hosting.  I asked both to please post their reviews and neither have.  How do I manage this?  I really do appreciate feedback and feel somewhat let down.  Any advice please?  Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks so much Clare, I really appreciate your input.   I was unsure of the protocol but will take your advice and follow up with my guests.  Once again thank you. 🙂 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Gail8 Yeah, I hate it when someone doesn't leave a review, especially when they've said how much they liked the place.  As you know, Airbnb sends reminders and as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". 

That said, when it gets close the the end of the 14 day period, you can send the guest a reminder telling them that you would appreciate a review and that it's important to your business.  I recently sent a personal reminder to a guest and she replied with an all 5* rating!

Some possible reasons for not leaving a review are that the guests are travelling and don't have easy access to the internet or they just don't realize that they have a limited period in which to leave a review. 

Go ahead and send the guest a message...can't hurt!

Gail8
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks so much Clare, I really appreciate your input.   I was unsure of the protocol but will take your advice and follow up with my guests.  Once again thank you. 🙂 

I agree but 14 days go by quick when you have multiple kids. That being said  do you or anyone know where can a happy guest post their review after the 14days?

Dianne6
Level 3
Omokoroa, New Zealand

I too have just begun hosting with all reviews 5 star up until this month where the last 4 guests reviews have not been supplied. I did send a reminder to no avail. So close to getting my host badge and now because we have not received a review it seems we will be required to be kept waiting for this. Rather disappointing.

Does this happen quite often?

July 30, 2017

Hi Dianne,

No, this does not happen often. If your guests are regularly not posting reviews, there is a problem. 

I suggest that you start setting your guest up to write a review from the moment you give the orientation/house tour. Let them know that they will be evaluating you on accuracy, cleanliness, and communication. Then, while showing them the room, ask them, "Does everything look accurate and how it was pictured in the listing?" Get an affirmative response from them. When showing them the bathroom, ask, "Does everything look clean?" Again, get an affirmative. Then, after the tour, ask them if they have any questions. Also, tell them not to hesitate to let you know if anything isn't clean or needs attention and you will take care of it right away. 

Then, after their first night, do a little "temperature check": ask if they slept well, if they need anything. Tell them, "It's important to me that you have a 5-star experience."

Finally, at the end of their stay, tell them, "I have really enjoyed hosting you. I plan to give you a 5-star review and I hope I will get the same from you, since there were no complaints otherwise." You might also mention that you write reviews promptly and suggest the guest does so, as well: "I find it best to write the review as soon as Airbnb sends the review notice, so that way I have all the details fresh in my mind. I hope that is a good idea for you, too."

With all those layers of review reminders, I hope you get a much higher review response and higher reviews overall. 

@Angela480 The only caveat I would add to your post is that I learned early on not to write a review until my listing (Entire Home) has been thoroughly cleaned and ready for my next guests.  I've seen many hosts write a great review for a guest only to learn later that something had gone awry and they regretted their review.  I'm not sure I would promise a 5* review either. 

@Angela480 

My take on this is different. The guest has come to town for a relaxing vacation, not to get a rundown of questions regarding every room that’s visited. 

I don't feel the host should ask the guest if everything is as pictured or if everything looks clean. I, as the host, already know the answer to both is YES and have no doubt about it!

My tour takes appx 5-7 minutes and I do ask them at the end to contact me with any questions, concerns or an emergency, and  my contact info is left with them. I do not want to disturb guest so I give them total privacy.