Guests without reviews

Nick2161
Level 1
Cairns, Australia

Guests without reviews

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to our problem. We have set our hosting settings so that guests can only be instantly confirmed if they have previous reviews but we get many booking requests from guests without reviews and we would like to ask them if they have any tenancy references from other sources before we accept their booking ,but there is no way to send them through the Airbnb app or for us to give them an email address to send references too.

Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Using the message system works well and its now possible to photograph and upload documents.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick2161  As a host who has never used IB, I go on written reviews (non-IB hosts can't view star ratings) and the guest's communication- both what they write and how they write it. If a guest has no reviews, there is only the communication to go by, but it has never led me astray.

If a guest sends an informative, polite and articulate initial message, I have no qualms about accepting them. If their initial message is more along the lines of "Arriving around noon", I message them back asking some questions, determining whether they have thoroughly read through the listing info, etc. This has always elicitied a more appropropriate message back from them. 

But if it didn't, or they didn't respond, I would probably just decline.

There are basically 3 types of guests who have no reviews. They are brand new to Airbnb, their account shows they have been members for some time, or they have had bad reviews before and deleted their account and opened a new one.

With the newbies, you may have to do a bit more handholding and explain how Airbnb works, what host expectations are of guests, make sure they have entered the correct number of guests on the booking, etc.

The second type may have joined with the intention to travel, but never had that opportunity. They may have had Airbnb stays before, but their hosts failed to leave a review.  They may have had stays before that were booked under their spouse's acct.  I have experienced all of these and the guests turned out to be lovely.

The third type, you have no way of identifying as bad guests who rejoined. But their communication with you may send up red flags- i.e. they are "oversharing" to misrepresent their intentions (talking about how it's grandma's birthday and the family is so looking forward to celebrating it with her as she may not last much longer, blah blah....) when in fact they are planning to have a rager party full of 20 year olds.  Or other things that set off your spidey sense.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nick2161 

yes, this is a catch 22.... if they don't meet your requirements they can't instantly book but they can send you a booking request. If you decline too many requests you will be warned by ABB, threaten to be delisted, your listing may drop in search...

Your guests can scan and send you their recommendations as a picture in your message thread. But how relevant would that be? They can write it by themselves.