Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Had 2 guests booked and at check out 5 people left.

Karen205
Level 1
Saratoga Springs, NY

Had 2 guests booked and at check out 5 people left.

I had a nice couple book our apartment for a week.  Spoke with them at check in and they mentioned that her "dad" was stopping by Saturday.    My husband and I went away for one night and they day they were checking out I noticed that 5 people were leaving the one bedroom apartment.  We do allow an extra guest stay for an extra 25.00 per person if we know ahead of time.  When I was speaking with them the day of check out they said her parents arrived Friday with her daughter and stayed both nights.  I didnt want to start any problems with her daughter there but are there any reprocussions for their actions?  Can I charge them for the extra people after the fact or just give them a bad review?  Which is to bad because they seems like nice people.

11 Replies 11

Sorry I don't like people that take advantage and Yes and I would call Airbnb to charge . Be sure you house rules state only 2 are allowed and when they book I always ask have they read the rules ,
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

They can't be that nice if they brought in people without discussing it with you first!

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Karen205   Go to the resolution Center on your account and request payment for the extra people on their booking.  The guest will have the opportunity to respond as well and agree to pay or not.  Make sure you write everything out in your request just as you have in this post.  Details are very important for ABB and so is getting paid especially when 5 ppl used water, electricity and required more cleaning.  This is your business. If someone came into your restaurant, and ordered food for 5 people, would they not pay for all 5 ppl?  Of course they would....and the 5 drinks too.  Unless they order water.  haha

Let us know how it goes.....Momi, Superhost in Hawaii #LiveAloha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Treena0
Level 2
Orewa, New Zealand

Greet repies guys also good for new people reading these experiances...

Great replies... 

Kim119
Level 2
Otago, New Zealand

Great replies and very helpful as I'm a guest with the opposite problem: I have booked a house with friends. We will be 5 adults and 6 kids (all under 10yrs old). When I searched for houses, nothing came up for that many people, so I searched for 8 people. I found a house and sent a request asking if it would be okay to have 5 adults and 6 kids. Host said yes, "no worries". The booking is for Friday - I've asked for instructions to unlock the house since none have been sent, and he sent me a personal text (not via airbnb) to say it is $15 extra per person over 8 guests, so I am to pay him directly the extra cost.

The listing says no charge for extra guests.

I notified at the time of the booking request that we would be 5 adults + 6 kids.

I've paid the agreed amount (no extra charge) since he accepted the booking.

I sent Airbnb a message a couple of hours ago but no reply yet.

BUT... what do you hosts/guests think? As a host, I would always tell people up-front if there were added costs before accepting a booking. And I won't pay/charge for anything without going through AirBnb. I haven't just added a bunch of people - I could have said nothing and just rented the house, as in the case of the OP's guests.

What would you do?

On top of that, at this late stage, there isn't really anywhere else to book. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise I'd consider cancelling, but it means ruining 3 families' long awaited weekend away - that's 6 grumpy kids! I want the house, but the extra payment he's asking for is dodgy and would make any protection from airbnb null if the host decided to ask us for money if he 'found' something had 'gone missing' after our departure. Sorry for the long story.

@Kim119 It sounds like you have someone working with you - that's good - for future reference, the Airbnb portal where email exchanges are is where all negotiations should happen.  The fact that the host reached out to you on the side via text and asked for cash is against Airbnb policies and is an unsafe practice.  Should you ever find yourself in a situation like this again, request he make the changes as @Sandra126 suggested.  You also have the option of using the Resolution Center to "Send Money" and the reasons you are paying more.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kim119, firstly, how do 11 people sleep in a house for 8? Mattresses, sofas? Not really sure what the plan is. You do not pay cash for beds. I understand that the host had a max and therefore would find it hard, but it is not really. The host will just go to AMEND BOOKING and add the extra charges, then you have to click ''ok'' and it will charge your card.

The confusing line about ''extra guests - no charge'' is something we wish for Airbnb to remove as people might think you can bring extra guests. It doesn't, it just means the charge is for 2, or 6, or 20 or whatever number the host has set. 

All the best with your booking!

You will get the host in trouble btw, for telling Airbnb that he is asking for cash. He is pretty much doing you a favour in accepting over the limit. I most definitely wouldn't, and any party arriving over the set amount would have to go elsewhere as I cannot accommodate them.

I just looked at your profile and notice that you are an experienced host, surely you already know how everything works?

Hello Sandra, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I thought I knew how everything works... which is I guess why I'd assumed that the host would let me know of any additional charges at the time of booking a week ago, not four days before our arrival.

Since you asked, the house in fact has beds for 9 and 2 of the kids normally sleep with their parents anyway, so we'd worked out before booking that we'd be okay for space if the host was okay with it.

AirBnb have put a case manager on to help out, so hopefully the outcome will be good for everyone. I'm happy to pay something extra, but I just like to know ahead of time and I'll pay if he amends the booking. He just says he wants me to pay him directly and only sends me personal text messages about it, so it puts me on edge.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I agree, can't come up with charges after the fact. Also no getting around the payment system, see this a lot on the forum.