Help

Kathleen470
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Help

Hi. I have guests coming for one nigh, arriving today. There is no photo no reviews, they only joined this month. They asked me to communicate by email. I messaged them yesterday and today to ask approx time of arrival. It’s supposed to be 2 sisters, but it could be anybody. What would you do? Hope you can help

4 Replies 4
Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

You should message through the Airbnb message platform. You would then have your messages to prove that you have been trying to contact them. Do you have a Profile photo. I always ask for more details as I don't use IB.  If you haven't already you can ask why they are travelling to your area, businees, visiting friends or relatives or just passing through. You can also  let them know that you may ask for ID on arrival.  I only contact guest through Airbnb.

Hope this booking is a great one.

Best wishes,

Yvonne

Yvonne191
Level 10
New Brunswick, Canada

Hi again,

Send them a message using Airbnb message.  Then, if you indicate that you need the Profile photo on your listing you can contact Customer Service  and ask them to contact the guest. Let them know they are not responding to your messages and don't have their photo.  Also let them know if you are uncomfortable with this booking. Then if something happens you have already involved Airbnb CS and they are aware of a possible problem on arrival. If you don't indicate that you request the photo you should definetly add that to your listing.

Good luck:)

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Hi @Kathleen470 :

I have had similar issues with guests over the last year or so.  Given the time frame, I suggest that you follow the advice shared by @Yvonne191 .  

Should you encounter these concerns in the future, here are some methods that I have tried:

1) For guests wanting to use e-mail, I explain that Airbnb requires that communication be via their message interface, but I will use both.  Any correspondence that I receive from the guest via e-mail, I parrot back (copy and repeat) using the Airbnb interface so everyone is aware of what is being discussed.

2) Guests are required to provide the full names of all people staying overnight.  I must receive this information prior to their receiving check-in information.  If I don't hear from them by the morning of arrival, a text message is sent to the phone number on file.  Usually, that resolves the matter.  Otherwise, I would contact Airbnb customer service and ask them to follow up (haven't had to do this so far).

3) Finally, if I am still unsure about the guests' identity, I will send the check-in message WITHOUT the door code and explain that they will receive it when they arrive and show me their valid photo ID (driver's license, passport, state ID).

Avoid allowing any guest access to your rental until you feel comfortable with their identity.  It is easier to stop them initially than trying to get them out later.

Kathleen470
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi Gregory. Thank you for responding. All was ok thankfully. Kath