Filing a Host Complaint When You Aren’t Guest Who booked

Shannon362
Level 1
Palo Alto, CA

Filing a Host Complaint When You Aren’t Guest Who booked

I recently stayed at an AirBnb location that my friend rented, and I inadvertently left a few items behind (obviously, important enough for me to reach out to the host and yes, I realize it is my fault for leaving valuable items, but as a lawyer, I also know that there are laws that protect me in these circumstances given my below actions). 

My friend put me in contact with the host who said that his cleaning people in fact had found my items last week and requested that I call back today (Tuesday after a long holiday) when he would be back from vacation. 

I texted the host this morning being politely this morning asking when he would be free for a call. He did not respond. So, this afternoon I called and he brushed me off now claiming that he has another renter in the house and that he will be back from Vegas in 2 or 3 days. 

Somehow, I think this will be an ongoing issue unless there is some kind of complaint I can file. 

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shannon362  If it was not booked in your name, then I don't think you can file a complaint, but I'm not sure why you would file a complaint at this point anyway. Just because you think he won't respond, doesn't mean that's true. Why not give him the few days he said he needed until he gets back and then see? Also, did you offer to pay for the return of the items, or just expect the host to pay? Have ou offered any compensation for his time to pack the stuff up and post it?

Honestly, as an adult traveler, I've left all sorts of things behind on my travels, although I'm generally pretty organized. While I did try to get some back, and was once or twice successful, other things I just had to let go. If an airline loses my luggage, they are responsible, if I leave my sweater on the seat, or a book or paperwork tucked into the seat pocket, they are not. I can't imagine holding someone else responsible for my own inattention.

@Sarah977 , I absolutely would pay for my belongings to come back and/or drive to pick them up. You may have missed the part where I said “important enough to reach out” and important enough that now that he has acknowledge possession of the items, to escalate to a police report. In other words, they’re items that are not only expensive but sentimental value. Instead of lecturing maybe focus on just providing the solution in the future. 

@Shannon362 

As valuable and sentimental as you claim your forgotten items to be, they obviously weren't "important enough" for you to remember to check you'd packed them before you left though, were they? 

And with an attitude like that, it's little wonder your host is in no rush to jump through hoops, to make good on your neglect. 

Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@Shannon362 ,

"Important enough to reach out," IMO, does not imply that you would compensate the host for the return of your items. 

I don't follow why you would feel that it is necessary to file a police report at this early stage. Give the host the opportunity to respond to you. Perhaps the host IS rather busy. Yes, to you, the items are valuable; to the busy host it is just one more task on the to do list for this week. It may take a back seat to more pressing issues that the host is tending to. Afterall, this was your own doing and now you are asking for a favour.

As a host, I would rather communicate with the party who made the booking. Incidentally, did the person who made the booking stay with you?

@Shannon362 

Based on my own experience, hotels do not ship items that were left behind back to guests. They will hold onto it and keep it in the lost and found for a certain period but it is up to the guest to come back or arrange for pick up and after a certain period is over the item(s) are discarded. 

I've never had guests mistakenly leave stuff behind...... but when a friend leaves something behind I'll keep it in the closet until they come back to get it. It's up to them to come when I'm home and ask for it. I would consider it quite rude and presumptuous if they expected me to ship things to them because *they forgot*. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Shannon362  A police report????  The host didn't steal from you, you forgot your stuff!  Go back and retrieve it if it's important to you.

@Sarah977 

This is actually more like what I *wanted to* post 🙂 Lol~~

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica-and-Henry0  Well, I thought your post was quite reasoned. And you're obviously more tactful than I 🙂

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

@Shannon362 , It would probably be a good idea if you get a hold of your friend that booked the Airbnb and see if they can send you a copy of the House Rules for that particular listing. This is so you can see if there is anything regarding items that are left behind and what they’re willing to do about it. Some hosts state their policy, some do not.  

The agreement was with your friend. As the booking guest, they should have contacted the Host on your behalf to arrange for retrieval of your belongings. Under such circumstances, on the ABB messaging platform, you would have proof that you are or are not getting cooperation from the host. Then you could proceed from there, possibly with assistance from AirBnB Customer Service.

Incidentally, as the daughter and sister of attorneys, dropping the “attorney card”, in my opinion, cheapens the profession. One so articulate should be able to illicit a response from the host in a firm professional manner. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Shannon362 Firstly, even your stay with the host is against Airbnb policy, it's a third party booking. The host had the right to cancel the reservation as soon as he saw you are not the person that booked, so you have to appreciate the fact that he let you stay. I agree with all the other hosts, since you are a lawyer and you know with people you can be kind and offer someone to pick the things up when the host is available since it is your fault after all. Don't mention police reports since you are not going to get anywhere with that. What will you report? Yourself? Because he sure didn't took them, you left them. Kindness and patience will help you a lot more in this case.