Help !

Gin-and0
Level 2
Lake Charles, LA

Help !

Someone request to stay and it is in my house rules no children 2 to 12, but they have a 5 and 7 year old. If I decline it will negatively impact my account. How can they send a request if it's in my rules that it isn't suitable for kids? what do I do??

3 Replies 3
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gin-and0 just send them a nice note gently pointing out that unfortunately, as the listing states, the house isn't child-proofed, so unfortunately, you would worry too much about their children's safety if they were to come.  It's just so unfortunate, you wish it could be otherwise, but unfortunately, it's not.  LOL.  Don't decline.  The last time I had this situation I also suggested other nearby places that would be suitable.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Gin-and0   When something like this happens I tell the guest, that 'sorry, the apartment is listed as not suitable for children' but that they can cancel their request with no penalties.  This usually works, and the guest will usually cancel within the 24 hour timeframe. 

Unfortunately, if they don't pay attention or cancel the request there is nothing for you to do but deny it.  You could try to get airbnb to help but I am doubtful on if they would be willing to either decline it for you or erase the decline from your stats.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Gin-and0 @Mark116 

Is it an inquiry or a request to book? If an inquiry, you can add to @Ann72 's suggestion "Since Airbnb punishes hosts who decline or do not respond to inquiries, I'm pre-approving yours with the stipulation that only adults will check in. I understand this does not meet your requirements, so please just allow the pre-approval to expire."  If a booking request, you can say, "Since Airbnb punishes hosts who decline or do not respond to booking requests, I request that you cancel yours. Alternatively, I can accept it with the stipulation that only adults will check in, and then, since that does not meet your requirements, you will have 48 hours to cancel penalty-free."