Host asking for passport copies

Answered!
Bruna-Ayako0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Host asking for passport copies

Hi! I've used Airbnb a couple of times, and it's the first time my host asked me for the Passport copies. I'm hosted in Portugal and she said it's for paying taxes. I distrusted this information of her request because I always talked to my host in Portuguese and just this message was sent in English.

Anybody know if is it common ask passport information in Portugal? And is safe to provide this information?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

"The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws." 

You can read more about this by clicking here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138

Hello!

@Simone0 link doesn't work anymore

https://galateodelturista.com/2016/08/25/why-does-italian-hotels-ask-for-ids-or-passports/

Could you please post the official link from your government about ID?

Also, does this requirement has to be done Before the check-in date or the at the check-in?

Hi Simone - for others who may want to look up the link you supplied - here is the updated link! Feb 2023

https://galateodelturistadotcom.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/why-does-italian-hotels-ask-for-ids-or-pass...

Siobhan17
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am a new host and our place is quite open as we have a very large room in a house so I would have to ask for a passport as other people live here and I have to identify all guests & residents for the purpose of everyones safety everyone has to be identified. So I thinks its acceptable. 

\regards

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

In Croatia is ID check also mandatory: name , pass/ID number, citizenship, country of residence , country of birth, date of birth. Every guest including children have to be registered at tourist office / police by host

Hello!

@Branka0 & Silva

Could you please post the official link from your government about ID?

Also, does this requirement has to be done Before the check-in date or the at the check-in?

Thank you

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

It's required in Spain.  Must be a EU thing.

Not an EU thing, France did it before the EU.

David

@David126, Not sure it matters who did it first.  I am saying that I believe the EU requires this.  Every country I've visited in the EU has asked for a copy of my passport.

The UK, still in the EU, does not. Last few times I was not asked in France.

Obviously US does not and elsewhere I have been seems very variable.

David

Then the Brits either love you or hate me, because they've always taken a copy of my passport at the hotel.  Little copier right next to the front desk clerk, my passport goes under the glass, she hits a button, and voila!  A copy of my passport.  Last time it happened was in October at the Royal Horseguards.  Makes no difference to me if they ask for copies; the world is changing and more and more of this will be required of travelers.  In my most humble opinion.  😉

I am not suggesting I like it but I have to agree, every hotel I have stayed in outside of my own country (Australia) they always ask for my passport, which they then photocopy. It has been happening for years.

I am British, so self love?

There is no ID system in the UK, no internal passport, Drivers License are not required to be in your possesion and until relatively recently had no photo. So there was never anything to ask for. Pretty sure Ireland is the same. US is similar except it seems a DL is often used as a stand in. Or a SSN.

On the Continent internal passports were/are? quite common, now obviously Europe covers a lot of Countries and each has its own regulations and no doubt different levels of enforcement. I do remember it being an issue in France in my younger years but not more recently.

EU has stuck its tentacles into many things, but not this. 

David

in the states i beleive 70% of the people dont have a pasport.here in israel everybody needs to check in with a passport

israeli citizens need their national id card  to any hotel.

also their credit card for security (charges)

Amanda184
Level 2
Bondi Beach, Australia

In Spain I had my passport photograhed suddenly without my permission, I was shocked but did not say anything, now that Im a host I would like it to be mandatory to be able to take a photo of passport or id as Aussies dont always travel from state to state with passports.

So some sort of Id I think with prior notice to guests, if the guests understand air bnb has verification but the host also needs to have verification 

which would deter any theft, or property destruction that peole try to hide in case they have their deposit recinded.

Also theft between guests which is a possiblilty no matter what lengths hosts go to ,to put locks on doors etc.

What do you all think?

Graham44
Level 1
Hong Kong

We have been asked for copies of our ID and to upload them onto the Air B&B site to book a room for 4 nights!

We dont mind showing our ID or passport on arrival but feel insecure to upload them onto a site.  

There is nobody to ask on Air B&B although there is a paragraph saying that this might happen. 

The host will have access to our bank card with the payment and so will know something about us.  I need to know the information re ID cards is secure on Air B& B