How do we get access to a list of other Airbnb hosts in our towns so that if I can't accommodate a guest, I can refer them to someone myself?

Answered!
Lisa722
Level 4
Seattle, WA

How do we get access to a list of other Airbnb hosts in our towns so that if I can't accommodate a guest, I can refer them to someone myself?

I believe the "100 new whatevers" Airbnb sent us recently was also supposed to allow us to be able to contact other Airbnb hosts in our towns, but I can't figure it out. And I don't know if I'm the only one having issues with the reworking of the Airbnb site, but in the past two days I have had to spend more time dealing with inquiries than in the last four years total!  And none of it resulted in bookings. I think our listings are pretty clear, but so many people are asking for things not allowed or different prices or other things that are obviously a "no" answer. Kind of frustrating. Just never gotten any of this before. Anyway, I just had a guest I couldn't accommodate and would have loved to have been able to recommend a fellow Airbnb host. I have no idea how many or where any other properties there are in my town. Being able to access a list of them would be super helpful. Anyone know how to do that?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa722  I also saw that it seems you haven't hosted since Sept. 2019, if your reviews (great reviews, BTW) are anything to go by.

I can see that you've had lovely, appreciative guests in the past, so you may be unaware that the demographic

of guests has reportedly changed a lot lately. Long time hosts are reporting that they are getting the worst guests they've ever had. Rule-breakers, partiers and house trashers, guests making up lies in order to get a refund and scam a free stay.

So it's really important now to be aware of red flags in guest inquiries and requests, whereas a year and a half ago, the proliferation of these types of guests wasn't a thing.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

Why do you think I would direct someone to a listing that is already booked? That would be pointless and I wouldn't do it in the first place. I'm surprised that so many of these replies are sort of placing this inquiry in a negative light. I put this in the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" category. Sort of like when you make a lower offer on something for sale and you accept that lower offer. In four years I've only had one other inquiry so I guess I don't look at this like so many of the rest of you do. I just think we should be able to get in touch with other Airbnb hosts in our own towns more easily 'cos, hey, we're all on the same team, aren't we?

@Lisa722  Guests indicating that they want to break clearly stated house rules isn't in the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" category. It is in either the  "I don't have to respect a host's rules because what I want is what is most important" or "I haven't bothered to read through the listing information" categories. 

Both of which are red flags when it comes to guests. Guests like this generally turn out to be terrible guests in other ways if you accept their booking.

If you've only received 2 inquiries in 4 years, I get that you might not be aware of how to spot red flags in inquiries, so it would be prudent to heed other hosts' advice on this.

The appropriate response to this inquiry is "Hi XX, My house rules, which apparently you didn't read, states no pets. You should filter for pet-friendly listings in order to find something suitable."

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lisa722   I appreciate what you are trying to do; however a list is not available, and unless you take the time to contact the owners of the neighboring properties and learn about them, you cannot really help  guests that you have to turn away.

I found a local realtor/short term rental management company with multiple listings and I refer the guests I can't accommodate to them.  The realtor sends me a Christmas gift every year.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa722  I also saw that it seems you haven't hosted since Sept. 2019, if your reviews (great reviews, BTW) are anything to go by.

I can see that you've had lovely, appreciative guests in the past, so you may be unaware that the demographic

of guests has reportedly changed a lot lately. Long time hosts are reporting that they are getting the worst guests they've ever had. Rule-breakers, partiers and house trashers, guests making up lies in order to get a refund and scam a free stay.

So it's really important now to be aware of red flags in guest inquiries and requests, whereas a year and a half ago, the proliferation of these types of guests wasn't a thing.

Yes, I only do Airbnb every so often if I haven't worked enough in my regular field in order to help pay for the ever-escalating taxes, insurance, etc., lol! And Covid certainly didn't help. Sad to hear the last couple of years has produced the kind of guests you described. I'll try to keep a lookout and hope my good luck with cool guests continues. Thanks!