How much should I charge for one guest or two or three per night?

Dave42
Level 1
Martin, MI

How much should I charge for one guest or two or three per night?

5 Replies 5
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Dave42 no-one here can tell you that; we don't know your property, we don't know your location, we don't know what you are providing and how that compares to others in your area. Sorry but you've got to do the groundwork yourself.

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Dave42 - 

I have been hosting about a week and still haven't figured out my strategy here.  I have chosen to have a flat rate for up to four people for the moment, but here are the factors that influenced my decision:

-I provided one private room with a queen bed and private bath.  My accomodations for persons 3 & 4 are a couch.

-While a 3rd/4th person do use an extra towel and washcloth, it doesn't cause me to run an extra load of laundry, and I can't imagine they use much extra utilities overall.  Water is cheap in my state, so the potential two extra showers doesn't seem like much.

-The biggest potential cost would be the extra breakfast, but my guests so far haven't taken much for breakfast.  A man took two apples.  The party of two ladies yesterday used a little coffee (which we make every morning anyway), a bag of tea, and one packet of instant oatmeal.  I might consider having a charge for extra guests if that changes drastically with more guests.

-When considering a surcharge, i thought that $3-4 per extra guest might be fair.  Airbnb requires a minimum of $5 charge per extra guest.  As a parent to three kids, I know I would find being charged $10-$15 over the advertised rate annoying because hotels typically do not do that.  Hotels typically have strict limits on the total # of guests per room, and any extra charges are for services (possibly for extra towels, or a roll away cot, etc etc).  

"As a parent to three kids, I know I would find being charged $10-$15 over the advertised rate annoying..."

====================================

Children are people, they can be as clean or as messy as anyone else.  They should be charged for being in the rental just like anyone else.  Just because they are small does not mean that they don't use the supplies, (in my case use the composting toilet) or mess up the beds.

But I don't allow children under 18 to be in the treehouse because it is not set up to be safe enough for small children.  But if I did...they would be charged just like anyone else.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Just think in your own mind, would it be worth it to clean up after this extra person for $20?  Would I clean up after them for $10?  Whatever price you set it must be worth it to you.  That is what your time is worth.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Basil1
Level 3
Kumily, India

The price that's worth for you.