How to attach a file to a message on Airbnb?

How to attach a file to a message on Airbnb?

While we have detailed information of how to come to our home from the airports, a map is worth a thousand verbal instructions. We have tried to attach a map to messages for our guests, but they cannot receive it. Our only solution so far, which is a bit cumbersome, is to ask them for a private email address & send the map outside of the Airbnb system. 

Any better suggestions?

67 Replies 67
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

There is no way to attach links in the airbnb messaging system.  This is for security and to prevent transactions outside the system.  But you can use the encrypted link to their private e-mail and send them a map or a document that way.

First reservation on AirBnB.  Need to send a lease agreement, but can't attach docs.  Can't exchange e-mail addresses because AirBnB redacts them.  If I can't send lease agreements by e-mail AirBnB may not be for me.

You can - just ensure emails are sent to your email client and you can reply to them via that, and add attachments

I tried that and it didn't work, the guest received the email through Airbnb and the document is not attached at their end.

Same happens to me. Guest received the email through Airbnb and the document is not attached at their end.

@Ales2597  I find this happens most often when guests are accessing their email through their phone. The attachments seem to go through better when both parties are using a computer. If the guest says the attachment wasn't there, I just ask them for their actual email address and resend to that, which always works.

Airbnb block email addresses. They make it impossible to communicate with people. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen294 There's some information in this article about how to send documents to your guests via an Airbnb mail alias - it might be useful in your case? 

Using an email alias

You can use an email alias provided by Airbnb to email a guest who has booked a reservation with you for the following reasons:

• You need to send document attachments required by local laws
  • You need to send rental agreements as an attachment
  • You need to send check-in guides as an attachment
  • You use connected software with Airbnb that is not integrated with Airbnb messaging

This feature is not available by default, but you can access it by attesting to use it properly in your account settings. If you use this feature, you will be able to send and receive email to guests and include any necessary attachments. To access this feature:

1. Go to Professional Hosting Tools under your Account settings
  2. You'll be required to attest to proper use of this feature. Select the checkbox marked Allow me to use an email alias to reach guests to attest.

You’ll then see the email alias available whenever you open a message thread with guests. If you use connected software, the email alias will be available there if your software provider has made it available. You can reach out to your software provider for further information. The email alias for a guest is available when a reservation is booked and for up to 30 days after the check-out date.

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Nick2487
Level 1
South Australia, Australia

yes the mobile app has its days, unfortunately, we have found so for reliability the messaging on PC has no problems - we ask for email for the House Guide and have had no probs...

How do I get this encrypted link? Is it the airbnb email that is shown in contacts?

9 times out of 10 my guests never receive the document sent to them by the encrpted email. Its a real pain and sub par experience to VRBO's simple attachment of files.

@Kathleen260  I have no issues with PDF's, the jpeg's can sometimes cause issues for guests sending ID's via picture. I tell them to scan it as a PDF and it goes through fine. 

Same for me. They never get them and it is super awkward to keep asking them, or have them keep asking me. It looks very unprofessional.

Upload it to Google Drive and then send them a link to the document for them to download it through Airbnb's message system.   I used to send it all the time through Airbnb's cryptic email address but 3/4 of the time they never seem to get it and contact me as they are trying to do the self check-in which got to be a pain since our place is 5 time zones away.