How to prevent guests from take items from unit

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

How to prevent guests from take items from unit

It has been third guest from Airbnb who does not return common area wrist bands which we provide for the time of guests stay to be used in common areas such as pool, Gym, etc. We always write in check in instructions that wrist bands must be returned to the unit upon check out or guests security deposit will be charged 20.00 per missing wrist band. Guests do not return wrist bands, and we have to pay 20.00 per each to replace the same. We filed claims to Airbnb provided invoices, but Airbnb ignores our claims and resolutions center does not even responded to our follow up emails. 

I am no longer able to provide wristbands to airbnb guests, but not sure how to handle it. 

10 Replies 10
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ella4855 

Your listing indicates that guests are required to purchase the wristbands themselves for $10 each.

Are they still required to return them? If so, they should be charged a $20 refundable deposit.

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I have changed the requirement to purchase from HOA recently due to inability to bare such expense, previously I provided wristbands and require that the same were returned upon check out. We had three guests on the row in September who kept wrist bands and never returned these to the unit, that is why we have recently change our post to advise that guests must purchase these from HOA. We are unable any longer to absorb such costs, since airbnb ignores our claims. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ella4855  Charge them up front the $20, and make it fully refundable upon the return of the wristbands.  I bet you will shocked at how easily people will remember when there is $$ in the game.  Make this clear in the listing and reiterate it in the welcome message and the checking out message.

You could do what you're doing,  have guests purchase them directly, but make sure if they don't return them, that you aren't going to be fined for that.

Thank  you. That is helpful. Appreciate that. 

@Ella4855   Airbnb generally doesn't advance Resolutions claims for anything other than physical damage. They don't enforce host-issued fines, or accept liability for third-party fines such as those from building management. It's sloppy of them not to respond to your messages, but that case is DOA.

Charging a refundable fee upfront would be a workable alternative, but this works best if you're physically there for the checkout. Guests will have a more comfortable departure if they know that outstanding deposits have been resolved; if they feel surprised by a charge later on, they'll punish you for it in the reviews.

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I understand, but that is why I am never comfortable with Airbnb guests, our Panama City Beach region is very unhappy with Airbnb, rooms always dirty, stolen items, always violation of rules. 

@Ella4855  Those are definitely common complaints. But you have a nice place with popular amenities in a major tourist area. So why not switch to a listing platform or a rental format you're comfortable with? For example, one that actually facilitates a real deposit? 

Airbnb definitely has a traffic advantage, and it's especially adept at attracting Millennial guests. But it's not the only game in town.

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I have vrbo platform and next year I will definitely rent mostly with VRBO. Airbnb has traffic advantage, but has stopped proper verification process for  guests, and does not have proper protection for hosts. 

I will definitely discuss this with other hosts in our area, and we may switch to a different platform all of us. 

@Ella4855   Airbnb didn't stop proper verification of guests, because it never had such a thing to begin with. Not sure what VRBO has to offer in that department. I've never used them as a host, but not long after adding a profile as a guest, someone hacked the account and easily booked a property in Australia. Years later, that reservation still shows up on my account and it's the only reference point that the automated service bot is able to grab when I have a question. 

Which is all to say, I hope it doesn't come down to just these two choices.

Ella4855
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I understand, but that definitely indicate the level of protection  and security of their website guests and host have on Airbnb platform, and it is very low. 

Not sure what VRBO has instead, but I have never had any problems with VRBO guests, rooms clean, no pot smoking and definitely all my items are still in place.