I want to create a policy to deter people from disrespecting the check-out time.

Frank1455
Level 2
New York, NY

I want to create a policy to deter people from disrespecting the check-out time.

We often have same-day turn overs which is great, but our cleaning team is dealing with a situation where guests do not respect check out time and even when given a 5-10 minute grace period, extend their departure up to 45 minutes. The cleaning team is nice and tolerates it but they lose time and I am sure they have other clients they need to head to after our turn.

How does the community handle this?

I am considering a 10-minute grace period and then a penalty of $XX per 15-minutes after that. 

I love our guests and do not want to do this but I do not want our cleaning team to suffer financially because they don't respect their time.

Yes, I do send reminders the night before to alert guests of this.

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Frank1455 Couple options, use any or all, as works for you.

Change your checkout to earlier. If it’s now 11, change it to 10:30. Have your cleaners scheduled to arrive at 11.

Put  in your checkout note that the cleaners arrive at check out time and will enter the unit to begin cleaning immediately.

Use a type of lock/code system that deactivates the guest code/ability to access the unit after check out time. Advise guest of this.

List in your house rules a charge per hour of late check out. Not a fan of that one myself, as most don’t read house rules, and it may not fix the problem you’re having even if they do. Plus, it’s difficult to collect on.
Also, tell your cleaners not to stand by. They have a job to do, at a scheduled time, and if guests are still in the unit after check out, they are trespassing.

Frank1455
Level 2
New York, NY

@Colleen253 - Thanks for this. One challenge is there is no option for a X:30 or X:45 check out. Thoughts?

@Frank1455 Right. You’d have to turn it back a full hour earlier then. Or just notify guests that cleaners arrive promptly at checkout time and will enter the unit immediately to begin cleaning. Honestly, If your check out is now 11, that’s plenty of time for guests to get their sh1t together and vacate. If it was me, that’s what I would do, as well as  tell the cleaners not to stand by.

@Frank1455  late check-ins and -outs are common problems. Just adjust in and out time to 1 h earlier than it suits you. That's what we have done.

Frank1455
Level 2
New York, NY

10AM Check Out

3PM Check In

I don't think 9AM would be a good draw for guest, so I am reluctant to do that.