Insect bits?

Insect bits?

My friend and I stayed at this property 8/27-8/29. We both developed what we think are oak mite bites 8/29 8/30 all over our bodies. We have tried everything. The itching does not stop. My friend has been on two rounds of steroids and rx strength ointment. Has anyone stayed in this property recently and is experiencing this same thing? Drs do not seem to know what it is either. We are two weeks in and very nervous about what is happening. 

[Image removed]

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angela2659  Have you asked the hosts what it might be? It might not even be an insect, but some plant. Where I live in Mexico, if you walk in the jungle or around where there are cows, there are these tiny ticks you can barely see that cause intense itching. Even when you get rid of them, it continues to itch for a week afterwards. They don't cause lyme disease or anything, they're just really annoying. You can actually get rid of them by scrubbing yourself all over hard with a washcloth and soap in the shower, as they don't burrow under the skin or attach themselves firmly.

If it's some tiny parasite like that, or a mite, what you need to try is a scabies/ head lice soap like Nix. Steroids and topical ointments wouldn't help.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angela2659  Here is what I found online:

"Oak itch mites burrow into the skin and feed on fluids. ... The bites will show up on the skin within 10 to 12 hours and can be visible for up to two weeks, according to many medical websites."

So I think it isn't simply that you are itchy from the bites, I suspect you have the mites under your skin. So you should definitely try using some parasite soap.