Is the Fixed Rate per person per night or per room per night?

Bruce37
Level 1
Forfar, United Kingdom

Is the Fixed Rate per person per night or per room per night?

It's not clear to me whether the price I use (I'm not using Smart Price) should be per person per night or per room per night. Anyone know?

41 Replies 41

@Surine0  I think you understand that each of your rooms is a separate listing.  As such for the rooms that can have 1 or 2 guests, you can have a nightly rate assuming one person and an extra charge for guests over the one.  Hope this helps you

Annette137
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

But Linda I cannot find anywhere where it allows me to go in and set the price as a per night or a choice of per person - does anyone know where I go to do this please?   EG  I have one room - only - so a lot of this thread does not apply.  However, I wish to charge £25 per person per night and £15 per each additional person if there are two of them, but the room rate whether 1 or 2 persons is £40. I dont know how to check what this is set at and am having the same problem as the person above me on this thread which says that I am way above average on pricing but on checking I clearly am not!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Annette137

Go to your listing and click on "pricing", scroll down and at "extra charges" click "edit" to alter the "extra guests" charge.

Untitled3.jpg

To alter your base price for 1 person click edit at "nightly price" as below

Untitled4.jpg

Currently your listing is set to £30 for 1 person and £40 for two people as below

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Hey @Linda0, my property has seven rooms. Does listing the room types as private mean the rooms are booked seperately or must i still list the rooms differently? Thanks

Each room is a separate listing, @Ojok0.  "Private" on this platform means that no other guests are in the same room, such as you might find in a hostel where each bed is a separate listing.  Hope this helps.

Gunther7
Level 1
Indianapolis, IN

Yep, having the same problem here. I have so many rooms even in separate buildings that should be able to be booked together or separately. Having to make multiple listings without a way to hold them together, keep a shared calendar, make this impossible to use. In Brazil it is IMO especially important to set a per person price, because people lie when they book. They say 2 people and show up with 5. At least it has to be per room with a set maximum per room.

My husband and I are thining of renting out a separate apartment behind  our house that was my mother's place.  A mother-in-law aprtment, if you knwo what I mean. Anyway, it is seperate from our house and has a bedroom, kitchen, living room with a pull out sofa. How do we know what to charge to rent it out occasionallly as an Airbnb?

Hi Kay, Pricing is a combination of your assessment of the market and what you need to charge to make it worth your while.  When I started 3 years ago, I looked at comparable places in my area.  In my marketplace there is a high season related to the excellent weather, special events with more visitors than accommodations and summer...desert heat when nobody comes 😄

Some host need to factor in mortgages and other fixed expenses and other hosts just need to look at the market and their time.  You have to make it worth your while, right?

Air BNB has a Smart Pricing option that looks at comparable listings and demand and suggests pricing.  Many hosts do not like this feature and do not use it as they think it is too low.  Most of us overrate our place because we put so much effort and resources into it, but like any product or service, the market will let you know.

When you first start, keep the price a bit below market so you will appeal to a wider group and you will get your reviews.  Be careful about being too low as some bargain hunters do not make good guests.

Hope my thoughts help.  Keep coming back to the Community Center.  There is a wealth of information here.

Annette137
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Look at what other Airbnb's in your area are charging and for what and then price it competitively that way.

Hi I’m also confused on if the price that is set in smart pricing is per person per room per night or for the room. Can anyone help pls ? 

@Paul1177  Unless you are leasing on a monthly long term basis, the rate is a nightly rate.  Look closely at your listing home page and the amount is "per night".  You can decide how many people will be covered by the nightly rate and then add another extra guest fee per guest.  Hope this helps.

Thank you Linda