Issue with Illegal (and filthy) AirBnB

John4994
Level 2
West New York, NJ

Issue with Illegal (and filthy) AirBnB

Hello,

Recently, we have stayed at an Airbnb in California. During this COVID time, we obviously asked about additional cleaning the host was to perform to sanitize the place, and they responded appropriately. When we got there, however, the place was not only unsanitary, but just plain dirty: spilled juice all over the kitchen counter, food spilled on the floor, mold and mildew in the refrigerator, mold in the bathtub, sink and toilet, bugs on the walls, and a smell of dust/mold: an all around filthy place.

After much back and forth with the host (pictures and all), the host agreed to give a full refund so long as we did not provide a negative review. 

We also contacted AirBnB (via the app, since there isn't a way to get anyone on a phone line), and they mentioned that this is an illegal Airbnb and that they are aware, and will give us a refund. 

All of this happened last Sunday, with no other communication from the host or Airbnb. Each time I contact Airbnb via the app chat feature (which is the only way apparently) I am told that a Support Ambassador will contact me shortly, and that never happens.

I am now out of almost $1,000, not to mention the ADDITIONAL $1,000 I had to pay for ANOTHER Airbnb (which, thank God, was available and clean on such short notice). 

Can someone please advise if there is any one within Airbnb that I can contact? I just want some answers, not just an automated chat message saying I will be contacted (then auto-disconnected).

Thank you for any help you can provide.

5 Replies 5
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@John4994 quit wasting time and go to your cc

dispute the charge and then let them hash it out with abb

John4994
Level 2
West New York, NJ

Thanks, Kelly. I've done that, but figured I'd ask if there is another way. Bank said we'll need to provide documents, then they'll talk to Airbnb, but not sure how long that takes, and I'd like to be included in that conversation to explain my side wholly. 

@John4994  In all the hundreds of postings I've seen about customer service delays, I haven't yet uncovered a hack for expediting a refund. 

But you should absolutely write a review. It is forbidden under the Extortion Policy for a host to make your refund conditional upon a review - https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/  . Your rating/review will help expedite the inevitable delisting of this host and prevent others from having an experience like yours. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John4994 Contacting Airbnb via the app is actually a good thing in your case because you will have written proof that they have agreed a refund. I suggest you screenshot this proof just in case there is a 'glitch' in the system and it disappears.

Having done all that I would leave a review on the original property (if allowed) and then be patient with the refund. 

Good luck

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Once it's agreed to refund, it still takes around a week to reach your account. So it's not a quick thing.