Issue with guest cancelling day of reservation with "moderate" cancellation policy

Madeline14
Level 1
New York, NY

Issue with guest cancelling day of reservation with "moderate" cancellation policy

My guest asked to cancel the reservation the day of their arrival and never provided a payment method so the reservation was cancelled automatically and I was not issued any of the normal compensation provided by the "moderate" cancellation policies that my listing is under. According to the "moderate" cancellation policy I should get 1st night + 50% of the remaining nights if the guest cancels the day of the reservation. Please advice how to go about resolving this issue. Thank you. '

6 Replies 6
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

That's a bad situation which also happened to me recently. I could not rent the place to anyone because a reservation was pending. 

In the end, the booking was never validated by airbnb, and the night was gone. In this case there is no payment, because no cancellation, because no booking. 

There is nothing you can do, this is pretty exceptional but it can happen when someone signs in airbnb for the first time

Yes - it's a strange situation - however my reservation was accepted and then cancelled - and now the status of it reads "cancelled" so I am not sure why, just because the host didn't have a payment method, I should be penalized. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Madeline14

This usually happens when a stolen cc is used. First it is registered as payment, then declined.

If this was a booking made the day before, you're lucky it was discovered before they got there.

Have you heard about the Airbnb robbery sprees in the media recently? Google that.

You may have just dodged a bullet from the sound of it.

Lynda38
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

I have had a guest cancell 4 days ago on the afternoon that she was meant to arrive.  According to the terms and conditions she was not entitled to a refund.  However we notified Air BnB that we would like to refund her $80.  Since then we have not received the balance of the payment even though it is showing as pending.  How do I receive the balance of this payment?  I find it really frustrating that I cannot email Air BnB directly to enquiry about this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lynda38

If you look at the first post of the forum you are on it details all the ways to contact BNB

If you use the search function here contacting BNB is the most popular question asked and answered hundreds of times you can also use that.

You will then have the number for any future inquiries.

Nayeem0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

My guest arrived on the day, but it says that i cancelled the day before their arrival. However, they arrived but then left the same day instead of staying for 5 days - and i have not received the £193. 

How is that possible - WHEN I DID NOT CANCEL THE BOOKING! and I cannot let the room out to anyone else. 

WHY CAN'T I CONTACT AIRBNB - THIS IS REALLY AWFUL!