Lack of workspace in AirBnb

Aline593
Level 1
Montclair, CA

Lack of workspace in AirBnb

I'm nomadic this year. I'm working while traveling I would like to document my struggle so Airbnb hosts can improve.

So far this year I have been through Brazil (Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Espirito Santo), Mexico (Cancun), USA (Florida - Orlando, California - Pasadena)

In all those places it was really hard to find a place with an actual workspace. The filter does not work, because people think Kitchen tables are workspaces (please, they are not!). Workspace is a table that can fit and power a monitor and a laptop, have space to take notes and it is close to the WiFi Router so the guest can use a cable if needed.

Airbnb needs to make clear for hosts what a workspace is, so people stop putting any table they have as workspace.

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aline593 

I agree with you that a kitchen table is not necessarily a workspace, especially if that table is part of a shared kitchen.

However, I would disagree that the desk has to be close to the router so the guest can plug into it. I've hosted I don't know how many guests that work from home (I host primarily long term guests) and no one has ever asked me for that nor ever needed to do it. As long as the WiFi works adequately, there's no need. I would view that as a very niche request and think a guest was being difficult if they expected such a thing.

As these things are important to you, it's best to ask the host questions about it before booking. For example, I recently had a guest who was bringing a monitor with her. This is unusual as most of my guests use laptops and no one else has ever brought a monitor. Still, because she asked about it first, we were able to discuss it to ascertain if the desk set up would work for her.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Aline593  We have our very large dining room table listed as a 'workspace' as it is large enough for a couple of laptops, files, etc. and while it is set up as a dining room, its still a separate space with comfortable upholstered chairs and an outlet nearby.  There is also a kitchen table.

The router is not accessible to guests.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

No, I would not want my router touched by guests either and most of them don't. The only time I can remember one doing so recently, it resulted in the WiFi going out for other guests because she had basically loosed the plug (something she was told NOT to mess with).

If your dining space is not used constantly as a dining space and it's comfortable enough in terms of table height and chairs, then I guess that could count as a work space.

Funnily enough, I have desks and chairs in each guest room so that guests can work/study from there. Yet, some of them still decide to come work from the kitchen table instead, which I would rather they didn't as that's where I work and it's really distracting. Others have decided to work from the living room sofa/coffee table which is also annoying. That is a communal space that is meant to be available for me and all the guests staying, yet some people think it's fine to completely take this over (even rearranging the room) to work from all day, without asking if that's okay.

I guess there needs to be a more rigorous definition of what a dedicated workstation means.  I mean, I guess you could work on the floor, so that could be a workstation.  But, I think an office chair, desk, power socket, and fast internet are probably the minimum criteria for a workstation.  

The last place I stayed at counted kitchen stools as a workstation, but you can't really sit and do a day's work on them.  The same is true of a sofa. I think I've found about 2 decent office chairs in my travels about the place!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aline593 @Matt4744 

Airbnb's definition of a 'dedicated workspace' is:

"Guests have a desk or table that’s used just for working, along with a comfortable chair."

The host can also specify if that desk/table is in "a room with a door" or "in a shared space".

So, you should not assume that if the listing states 'dedicated workspace' or comes up when you search using that filter that it is anything more than that, and it's certainly not fair to complain afterwards about things not being provided if they were not offered on the listing as it's the guest's responsibility to read all of that and ask if there is something they are not sure of.

Make sure to read the amenities list. For dedicated workspace, hosts can also list as optional extras:

- ergonomic chair

- laptop stand

- monitor

- surge protector

Also, under the amenities list you will find the WiFi and some hosts here will list more details and/or speed. See also the 'internet and office' section, where you might find more details.

If there is anything required that is not listed, then contact the host and ask about it. Never assume it will be at the listing just because it's something you want/need.