Leaving windows open

Leaving windows open

Am i covered and are my guests covered by airbnb if they leave windows open when they go out at night, I know I'm not covered by my contents insurance as it would be classed as being negligent or similar?

I went round to tend to my chickens tonight and discovered 3 upstairs windows open which I went in and closed after phoning my guests to inform them that's what I was doing

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Do you live where it's likely that a thief would put a ladder up to the 2nd floor to rob the guests? It sounds like you live on the property, so I shouldn't think that would be an issue.

I live in the tropics- my windows are always open, and usually my guests also leave their windows open.

As far as being covered by Airbnb for theft or anything else, don't count on it. Getting money out of Airbnb is like pulling teeth.

@Jan186  I had a quick look at your listing and it doesn't appear that you live on the property, just go to attend to the chickens?

I would just make itt clear to guests that they should close windows and lock up if they are going out, that the host is not responsible for the security if guest 's belongings if they fail to do this.

I see your listing is new and I have a couple of suggestions. You state No pets, but you have a photo of a dog on the furniture in your photo gallery! You should remove that photo immediately or you'll have everyone showing up with a dog.

Also, while you state No Pets, you qualify that in your house rules "If I approve a smalll dog it can't go upstairs". No! No Pets means no pets, period. If you give guests an inch they'll take a mile. And  they won't respect the upstairs off-limits. The small dog will be sleeping in your beds.

You should really try to pare down that long list of house rules. It's far too long, guests won't read it. Try to condense it.

Thanks I vacate when I have guests- I was robbed a few years ago so I’m very aware