Let's Cut AirBnB Out Of The Deal eh?

Answered!
Ana1971
Level 4
Mesa, AZ

Let's Cut AirBnB Out Of The Deal eh?

Some folk are unbelievable. This guest keeps asking if they can get a better rate by not going through AirBnb. "We'll just do a deal on the side, between us and you, right?" The guest seemed a little offended when we advised them that we don't do that kind of thing because it would not be ethical. We tried to nicely explain that it "would be the same as saying, Hey ABnB, thanks for getting us this customer, but now we are going to steal them away and cut you out." Made our blood boil at the sheer slyness of it. Sorry for venting here but was wondering if any other hosts out there were running into these kinds of guests? (PS. 99.5% of our gusts so far have been very decent people).

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ana1971  If I had a really great guest who just wanted to extend their stay by a few days or a week, I might very well do a private deal, just as I let great guests who've stayed with me know that if they ever want to come back, they can just email me directly. Many hosts have their own websites they rent through, as well as using Airbnb and other booking platforms. Just because a guest first came to me through Airbnb doesn't mean Airbnb owns the relationship between me and that guest forever, once their Airbnb booking has come to an end.

But I'd never do such a thing with a guest like you describe, and I've reported every guest who has contacted me through Airbnb and sneakily tried to get me to negotiate with them directly. 

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

Right. As soon as someone shows you that they cannot be trusted to behave decently, you have to be wary around them and do the right thing by both ABnB and our fellow hosts (as well as the other guests of course.)

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ana1971 I have had these people, and I've just said "not in airbnb rules" and reported them.

Yeah the more we think about it, the more reporting this guest seems right. Bad behavior like this tends to erode the community for us all, both hosts and guests alike. The ABnB deal is a pretty good thing and folk should appreciate that.

Ana1971
Level 4
Mesa, AZ

UPDATE - taking the helpful advice of fellow hosts we did report the poor behavior of this guest to ABnB and it seems like they cancelled the guests account with them. Not the outcome we were looking for but it is comforting to know that ABnB takes serious action when action needs to be taken. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback here.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ana1971 Wow I'm so surprised that such decisive action was taken.

Thanks for the update.

We were surprised ourselves so it makes us wonder if ABnB had other interactions with the guest that did not go so well.